From some testing that I have done it appears that there is a limit of 3
characters before the wild card for wildcard queries. In other words, if the
word is dogleash and I looking by using do* it returns wrong results
(usually only a asubset) where as if I use dog*, I get correct results.

Also, wildcard at the begining of the keyword does not seem to be supported.
(*ogleash)
Can some one confirm this? Is this documented anywhere?

For additional commands, e-mail:

Search Discussions

  • Carlson at Jan 2, 2002 at 9:25 pm
    Hi,

    Is there any reason why the boolean terms (AND, OR and NOT) are case
    sensitive?
    For example
    Query 1: "test and process"
    removes "and" as a stop word and does an or search (198 results in
    my test case)

    Query 2: "test AND process"
    performs a boolean search with AND (5 results in my test case).

    If I change the queryParser to include the lower case "and", "or" and
    "not" will that cause other problems?

    Thanks

    --Peter

    For additional commands, e-mail:
  • Otis Gospodnetic at Jan 11, 2002 at 3:39 am
    Hello,

    I haven't tested this like you did, but from looking at the query
    parser (QueryParser.jj file in the Lucene distribution)
    it seems that only a single character is required before '*' or '?':

    <WILDTERM: <_TERM_START_CHAR>
    (<_TERM_CHAR> | ( [ "*", "?" ] ))* >

    _TERM_START_CHAR is defined as:
    [ "a"-"z", "A"-"Z", "_", "\u0080"-"\uFFFE" ]

    and as you can see from the first definition above this character can
    be followed by either zero or more _TERM_CHAR or "*" or "?".

    This also answers your question about using an asterisk as the very
    first character in the query.

    It would be great if Doug or Brian Goetz could confirm or dispute this,
    so that I can add it to the Lucene FAQ at jGuru.com.

    Otis

    --- Aruna Raghavan wrote:
    Hi,
    From some testing that I have done it appears that there is a limit