Grokbase Groups Lucene dev July 2013
Hi all,

I want to do the Jira issue LUCENE 2562 : Make Luke a Lucene/Solr module
[1] as a project. This project will be for the ASF-ICFOSS programme [2] by
Luciano Resende [3] and the proposal has to be submitted before July 19th,
2013.

For this I *urgently need a mentor* from the Lucene community, so would
someone please consent to be my mentor for this project? I understand if
you are busy with other development commitments, but I'd be happy with a
little general guidance, and some reminding if I'm going away the proposed
goals too much.

The proposal is at :
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18Vu5YB6C7WLDxnG01BnZXFEKUC3EQYb0Y5_tCJFb_sc/

I'm focusing mainly on the porting of plugins of the app. If you have some
suggestions for the proposal I will be glad to hear them, and I will give
you comment access if you want as well.

Thanks and regards,
Ajay

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-2562

[2] http://community.apache.org/mentoringprogramme-icfoss-pilot.html

[3] http://people.apache.org/~lresende

Search Discussions

  • Mark Miller at Jul 17, 2013 at 6:22 pm
    You can put my down for the mentor.

    - Mark
[...]

  • Ajay Bhat at Jul 17, 2013 at 6:34 pm
    Thanks Mark. I've given you comment access as well so you can comment on
    specific parts of the proposal

[...]

  • Ajay Bhat at Jul 19, 2013 at 3:07 pm
    Hi Mark,

    I've added the proposal to the ASF-ICFOSS proposals page [1]. According to
    the ICFOSS programme [2] the last date for submission of project proposal
    is July 19th (today)
    The time period for mentors to review and rank students project proposals
    is July 22nd to August 2nd, i.e next week onwards.

    I'd like some feedback on my proposal from the community as well.
    Link to proposal on Google Docs :
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/18Vu5YB6C7WLDxnG01BnZXFEKUC3EQYb0Y5_tCJFb_sc
    Link to proposal on CWiki page :
    https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/Proposal+for+Apache+Lucene+-+Ajay+Bhat

    [1]
    https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/ASF-ICFOSS+Pilot+Mentoring+Programme

    --
    Thanks and regards,
    Ajay Bhat

    Since you asked for feedback from the community... a lot of what Luke used to do is now already available in Solr's admin tool. From Luke's feature set that you had in your proposal Google doc. the only ones I think are /not/ preset are the following:

    * Browse by document number
    * selectively delete documents from the index - there is no delete document page AFAIK, but you can still do this from the URL.
    * reconstruct the original document fields, edit them and re-insert to the index - you can do this using code as long as the fields are stored, but there is no reconstruct page.
    * optimize indexes - can be done from the URL but probably no page/button for this.

    As a Solr user, for me your tool would be most useful if it concentrated on these areas, and if it could be integrated into the existing admin tool (the Solr 4 one of course). I am not sure what the Solr4 admin tool uses, if its Pivot then I guess thats what you should use (and by extension, if not, you probably should use what the current tool uses so its easy to maintain going forward). Benefit to users such as myself would be unified look-and-feel so not much of a learning curve/barrier to adoption.

    Just my $0.02...

    -sujit

    Link to proposal on Google Docs : https://docs.google.com/document/d/18Vu5YB6C7WLDxnG01BnZXFEKUC3EQYb0Y5_tCJFb_sc
[...]

  • Shawn Heisey at Jul 19, 2013 at 5:40 pm