Grokbase Groups Lucene dev July 2013
Hi all,

I had attended the ASF-ICFOSS Mentoring Programme [1], 2013 in India
conducted by Luciano Resende[2] and I've developed an interest in open
source. I'd like to work on the JIRA Lucene 2562 - Make Luke a Lucene/Solr
Module [3] as a project.

I've checked out the Lucene trunk and taken a look at the work Mark Miller
has done on it. If no one has taken it up, I'm willing to work on it after
submitting a formal project proposal after I get a mentor. I'd like some
technical guidance on Lucene from the community as well.

[1] http://community.apache.org/mentoringprogramme-icfoss-pilot.html

[2] http://people.apache.org/~lresende

[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-2562

Thanks and regards,
Ajay

Search Discussions

  • Mark Miller at Jul 12, 2013 at 5:58 pm
    Great! I'd be glad to help get you going!

    I think that issue would have a very large affect if we could get it up to
    speed - it's a very popular tool and having it released with Lucene and
    always up to date with trunk would really help a lot of people I think.

    - Mark

    --
    - Mark
  • Ajay Bhat at Jul 13, 2013 at 6:05 am

    I've got to make a project proposal at this page.
    https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/ASF-ICFOSS+Pilot+Mentoring+Programme

    Shall I include you as a mentor? Would anyone else like to be a mentor to
    this project alongwith Mark?

    I've also got some preliminary questions about the issue

    1. You mention that the UI, currently using Java (Swing I presume?) needs
    to be ported to another toolkit. May I ask why?
    2. For porting, is there a preferred toolkit you'd like it to be ported to
    or any you, like the PyGTK?
    3. Has the work on Pivot been completed? If not, what else is to be done?
    4. Can I run Luke by itself or should it be built alongwith Lucene as it
    refers some classes of Lucene?

    Also, it would be great if you could link me to some slides or posts about
    Luke (the first two links on the issue page don't seem to work)

    Regards,

    Ajay

[...]

  • Ajay Bhat at Jul 13, 2013 at 9:15 am
    One more question : What version of Lucene does Luke currently support
    right now? I saw a comment on the issue page that it doesn't support the
    Lucene 4.1 and 4.2 trunk.

    Ajay Bhat, TKMCE
[...]

  • Shawn Heisey at Jul 13, 2013 at 6:56 pm