Putting my last email together about new Lucene features in Solr has led
to an unrelated question:

If you have a sort parameter that does not include score, and you don't
request score on the fl parameter, is Solr smart enough to not bother
calculating it or applying boosts, especially with distributed search?
I have a boost parameter using a few mathematical functions in my
edismax handler definition. I'd rather not have that calculation
performed if it will never be used.

A quick test with with shards.info and debugQuery=true suggests that
this is NOT the case. The maxScore field in shards.info is blank
whether debugQuery is there or not, but with debugQuery, the full score
calculation is present under explain. I can't tell if the calculation
is made just because I requested the debug. It would be good (IMHO) if
the calculation were skipped entirely when sorting on fields other than
score, even when debugQuery=true.

Are such optimizations already in place when debugQuery=false? If not,
I can open an issue.

Thanks,
Shawn

  • Yonik Seeley at Feb 13, 2013 at 3:47 pm

    If you have a sort parameter that does not include score, and you don't
    request score on the fl parameter, is Solr smart enough to not bother
    calculating it
    In general, yes, but it can somewhat rely on the implementation of
    specific queries.
    have a boost parameter using a few mathematical functions in my edismax
    handler definition. I'd rather not have that calculation performed if it
    will never be used.
    In this specific case, the answer is definitely yes. The function for
    a boosted query will only be evaluated in the score() method, which is
    only called if you need scores.
    but with debugQuery, the full score calculation is present
    under explain. I can't tell if the calculation is made just because I
    requested the debug.
    It is.

    -Yonik
    http://lucidworks.com