Hello,

I'm in the process of implementing a project using Lucene Spatial and I
had a couple (hopefully quick) questions:

1) Is anyone currently working on adding arbitrary geo shape handling,
or has done so in code that is not part of the contrib? I need to
implement functionality to support filtering by bounding boxes (passed
in directly to the DistanceQueryBuilder) and arbitrary closed polygons
(for neighbourhood overlays), for example.

2) To what extent is Spatial under active development? I noticed that
there is at least one big patch outstanding (LUCENE-1732,
multithreading). If I were to begin development on a few things (such as
the above, if it hasn't already been done/slated), would I just fall
hopelessly out-of-sync in short order?

Thank you for your time and insight!

Best Regards,
Aaron McKee

  • Mark Miller at Sep 17, 2009 at 5:44 pm
    Don't get me started with spatial - they came, they dumped it, they left ;)

    You will not fall out of sync in short order, especially if you work
    with JIRA so others know what you are doing. The guys that originally
    came in and added spatial apparently have it working for their needs and
    havn't been around doing anything with it for some time.

    Feel free to add some javadoc too! Any javadoc ...

    Aaron McKee wrote:
[...]

    http://www.lucidimagination.com

  • Wouter Heijke at Sep 17, 2009 at 5:58 pm
    Hi,

    Started using it actively.
    Soon realized that it was unsupported alpha code and didn't fit in the
    high profile environment we have.
    Now using my own code to do bounding box / proximity Lucene searches with
    GeoHashes, faster, more efficient.

    My advice, browse the code, get inspired, write your own code only better.

    Wouter
[...]

  • Mark Miller at Sep 17, 2009 at 5:59 pm

    Wouter Heijke wrote:
    My advice, browse the code, get inspired, write your own code only better.

    Wouter
    Evil dude - donate those improvements back!

    --
    - Mark

    http://www.lucidimagination.com

  • Wouter Heijke at Sep 18, 2009 at 8:03 am
    Evil... well if the projection doesn't align with the way other parts of
    your codebase do then it it is just one more reason to dump code and write
    your own...

    The most useful part I could donate is the bunch of code I wrote around
    GeoHashes, that is code that enables you do do really cool things, like
    reverse geocoding with them. I also addressed the median/equator problem
    and made bounding box searches by using GeoHashes more controllable.

    GeoHashes are really powerful and are more suited for Lucene then lat/lon's.

    Wouter

    Wouter Heijke wrote:
    My advice, browse the code, get inspired, write your own code only
    better.

    Wouter
    Evil dude - donate those improvements back!

    --
    - Mark

    http://www.lucidimagination.com

  • Alex at Sep 22, 2009 at 8:08 am
    Hi,

    I am also very interested in that matter and I would likely contribute any
    help (testing etc ...) if possible.

    Ifyou guys plan on rewritimg something clean, I would suggest you consider
    using the Java Topology Suite (JTS)
    http://www.vividsolutions.com/jts/jtshome.htm as a base for spatial objects,
    rather than rewriting them entirely as the previous commiters did.
    This would allow smooth integration with GeoTools which is a de-facto
    library for geographic operations.

    I would also love to see how Wouter's code works and what it exactly does :)

    Thanks for reviving this !

    Cheers,

    Alex.
  • Michael McCandless at Sep 22, 2009 at 9:37 am