When people add new issues to JIRA they most often don't set the "Fix Version" field. Would it not be better to have a default value for that field, so that new entries don't get forgotten when we filter by "Fix Version" looking for issues to fix for the next release? If every issue had "Fix Version" set we'd be able to schedule things better, give reporters and others more insight into when a particular item will be taken care of, etc. When we are ready for the release we'd just bump all unresolved issues to the next planned version (e.g. Solr 1.3.1 or 1.4 or Lucene 2.4 or 2.9)

Thoughts?

Otis

  • Karl Wettin at Sep 23, 2008 at 8:59 pm
    I think it makes more sense to leave fix version to committers when
    they assign them self to the issue. I say this because of the hundreds
    of open and unreviewed issues that one would have to update in the
    tracker between each release.

    When people add new issues to JIRA they most often don't set the
    "Fix Version" field. Would it not be better to have a default value
    for that field, so that new entries don't get forgotten when we
    filter by "Fix Version" looking for issues to fix for the next
    release? If every issue had "Fix Version" set we'd be able to
    schedule things better, give reporters and others more insight into
    when a particular item will be taken care of, etc. When we are
    ready for the release we'd just bump all unresolved issues to the
    next planned version (e.g. Solr 1.3.1 or 1.4 or Lucene 2.4 or 2.9)

    Thoughts?

    Otis

  • Otis Gospodnetic at Sep 23, 2008 at 9:20 pm
    Isn't that update thing something that can be done in a single automated JIRA step? I believe I've seen people do that.

    Maybe my thinking/work style is different, but I find having to manually setting Fix Version as one extra thing I need to do. I don't necessarily assign things to myself, but I have a relatively good idea whether something should and can go in the next version or not.

    But maybe I'm in the minority here. :)
    Anyhow, just a suggestion.

    Otis

[...]

  • Mike Klaas at Sep 24, 2008 at 1:55 am

    When people add new issues to JIRA they most often don't set the
    "Fix Version" field. Would it not be better to have a default value
    for that field, so that new entries don't get forgotten when we
    filter by "Fix Version" looking for issues to fix for the next
    release? If every issue had "Fix Version" set we'd be able to
    schedule things better, give reporters and others more insight into
    when a particular item will be taken care of, etc. When we are
    ready for the release we'd just bump all unresolved issues to the
    next planned version (e.g. Solr 1.3.1 or 1.4 or Lucene 2.4 or 2.9)
    -1 I doesn't make sense to automatically schedule something to be
    fixed in the next version of the product.

    I would be +1 on automatically setting the fix version for the current
    unreleased version when an issue is resolved as "fixed", though.

    -Mike