I just saw the following new Lucene application announced:

http://omnifind.ibm.yahoo.net/productinfo.php

While I work for Yahoo!, I know nothing about Yahoo!'s involvement in
this except for what I've just read in the press. Were any of the IBM
folks on this list involved? If so, congratulations! Can you tell us
any more about how Lucene is used here?

(I see that Steven Parkes already updated the "Powered By" page in the
wiki...)

Doug

  • Steven Parkes at Dec 13, 2006 at 7:01 pm
    The primary folks on the Lucene side are Michael Busch and Andreas
    Neumann. Certainly other folks at IBM have contributed significant
    pieces (though notable NOT me) but Michael and Andreas did most of the
    heavy lifting.

    I'll leave them to take credit for their work.

  • Andreas Neumann at Dec 14, 2006 at 5:48 am
    Thanks for the congratulations, Doug!

    The credits for the Lucene side of the work really go to Michael, and
    to the entire Lucene group - this community sometimes came up with
    patches faster than we could ask for them.

    To answer your question: How is Lucene used in this product?
    - Needless to mention that we use Lucene to index and search documents.
    - The documents are gathered by web and file system crawlers that we
    took from OmniFind Enterprise Edition, improved and adapted to the
    small-footprint of Yahoo! Edition.
    - For analysis, we use IBM's LanguageWare text analytics packaged into
    the UIMA framework - no "vanilla" Lucene analyzers used. This part
    was a little tricky because UIMA's document processing model (analyze
    the entire document at once) differs from Lucene's, which analyzes
    each field separately.
    - For search, we extended QueryParser for LanguageWare-specific handling
    of base forms, stopword. and synonyms. Oh, and we tuned the scoring a
    little.
    - A lot of the work actually went into the infrastructure that puts it
    all together - configuration, administration, APIs etc.

    All together, it was a thrill to work with Lucene, it made a lot of things
    a whole lot easier.

    - Andreas.

  • Michael Busch at Dec 14, 2006 at 10:03 am
    Thank you Doug and Andreas!!

    A year ago I didn't know anything about Lucene and, in general, hadn't
    much experience in open source. I have to say that it was a lot of fun
    to use Lucene and especially to work with the community. It is
    impressive how responsive the developers and committers are (maybe
    someday I will be one, too ;) ) either to questions from other
    users/developers or to new suggestions or patches - and always friendly,
    motivated and dedicated to help you solve your problem.

    So I would like to say "Thank You!" to the community for a very nice
    piece of software and for all the support in the last months. This year
    is almost over and looking back I realize how much I learned about
    Lucene and Search in general. I'm looking forward to the next year and
    I'm motivated to submit more patches and help to make Lucene even better.

    - Michael