Grokbase Groups Lucene dev March 2003

I'm experiencing OutOfMemoryErrors when searching using many logical ANDs
combined with prefix queries.
The reason is clearly too many returned hits waiting for combined evaluation.

I was wondering if there are any thoughts of changing the search approach to
something less memory consuming.
This is quite a big problem even with small sets of documents.

Example:
my 55000 document index runs out of memory when searching for a* AND e*

Could you estimate the difficulty to change the behaviour to search for e* in
just the hits matching a* ?
I'm about to put a BitSet at the innermost hit collection to sort out
AND-clauses that hasn't been matched by previous AND-clauses.
Is there a better approach ?

Thanks for a great java project guys