I am trying to build lucene4c to use with mod_mbox for
a SoC project. I have checked out the gcj-backend
branch of lucene4c, checked out the trunk version of
apr and built it with the experimental library
enabled, and built lucene4c with gcj4. The resultant
liblucene4c.la file looks like this:

/usr/local/lib

I have never used libtool before but that .la doesn't
look like any others I have seen and mod_mbox doesn't
like it either:

libtool: link: `/usr/local/lib/liblucene4c.la' is not
a valid libtool archive

Anyone have a suggestion?

Search Discussions

  • Garrett Rooney at Jul 25, 2005 at 11:30 pm

    steve johnson wrote:
    I am trying to build lucene4c to use with mod_mbox for
    a SoC project. I have checked out the gcj-backend
    branch of lucene4c, checked out the trunk version of
    apr and built it with the experimental library
    enabled, and built lucene4c with gcj4. The resultant
    liblucene4c.la file looks like this:

    /usr/local/lib

    I have never used libtool before but that .la doesn't
    look like any others I have seen and mod_mbox doesn't
    like it either:

    libtool: link: `/usr/local/lib/liblucene4c.la' is not
    a valid libtool archive

    Anyone have a suggestion?
    Try removing liblucene4c.la and just linking directly against
    liblucene4c.so? I imagine this is a problem with jlibtool, and enough
    peopl ehave mentioned it at this point that I guess we're going to have
    to do something about it sooner rather than later...

    -garrett
  • Steve johnson at Jul 25, 2005 at 11:56 pm
    I really don't mean to be obtuse but as I previously
    mentioned I've never used libtool (of any variant). I
    suspect I have to hack the generated Makefile to link
    against the .so but damned if I can even find the
    correct section. A pointer to the Makefile section to
    hack would be greatly appreciated.

    Steve

    Who is starting to miss the bad old days when I had to
    write the Makefile myself.

    --- Garrett Rooney wrote:
    steve johnson wrote:
[...]

  • Garrett Rooney at Jul 26, 2005 at 12:02 am

    steve johnson wrote:
    I really don't mean to be obtuse but as I previously
    mentioned I've never used libtool (of any variant). I
    suspect I have to hack the generated Makefile to link
    against the .so but damned if I can even find the
    correct section. A pointer to the Makefile section to
    hack would be greatly appreciated.
    Actually, I'm not sure if you'll have to hack the makefile or not...
    I'd try just removing the .la file and running make, and seeing if it
    does anything useful. If it doesn't, I don't think I can really be much
    help to you, since I don't actually have a copy the mod_mbox makefile,
    since I don't work on mod_mbox, and I suspect if hand-hacking is needed
    that's where it would be.

    Another thing to think about is the fact that when building mod_mbox you
    might want to try making it use jlibtool, just like Lucene4C does. I
    mean Lucene4C manages to get at least one binary (the lcn command line
    tool) to link against its library, so jlibtool does apparently manage to
    do it in at least some circumstances. If the libtool you're using with
    mod_mbox can't seem to do the same thing, it could be that it's GNU
    libtool, not jlibtool.

    -garrett

groupc-dev @
categorieslucene
postedJul 25, '05 at 11:21p
activeJul 26, '05 at 12:02a
websitelucene.apache.org

2 users in discussion

Steve johnson: 2 posts Garrett Rooney: 2 posts