FAQ
Hi,
I'm trying to build an development environment for a
friend to do some mod_mbox work that requires
lucene4c. After 2 whole days of building packages and
searching these archives for hints my only comment is
"WoW". I understand a lot of this stuff is in flux so
I don't expect a FAQ or Howto but I'm wondering if
someone can list the components and version numbers
of the packages they use to build lucene4c. After
reading a lot of email from this list I tried using
building gcj-backend branch with apr 1.1 (and 1.0 and
0.9) and gcc4.0 (and 3.4 and 3.3) and had no luck.
Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Search Discussions

  • Garrett Rooney at Jul 6, 2005 at 2:39 pm

    steve johnson wrote:
    Hi,
    I'm trying to build an development environment for a
    friend to do some mod_mbox work that requires
    lucene4c. After 2 whole days of building packages and
    searching these archives for hints my only comment is
    "WoW". I understand a lot of this stuff is in flux so
    I don't expect a FAQ or Howto but I'm wondering if
    someone can list the components and version numbers
    of the packages they use to build lucene4c. After
    reading a lot of email from this list I tried using
    building gcj-backend branch with apr 1.1 (and 1.0 and
    0.9) and gcc4.0 (and 3.4 and 3.3) and had no luck.
    Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
    I currently use apr from the trunk (make sure to compile with
    --enable-experimental-libtool) and gcc 4.0. If you post some specific
    examples of the problems you're seeing perhaps we can help you out with
    them, simply saying "it don't work" makes it rather difficult to be
    specific about the solution.

    And now that you mention it, if you do get it working then reducing the
    steps you need to take into a HOWTO would be quite useful...

    -garrett
  • Steve johnson at Jul 6, 2005 at 2:58 pm
    --- Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net>
    And now that you mention it, if you do get it
    working then reducing the
    steps you need to take into a HOWTO would be quite
    useful...

    -garrett
    I've been burning up my inetnet line with apt-get
    installs for the last couple of days. Retracing those
    changes would be impossible at this point but from
    this point forward I might be able to document my
    steps.
  • Paul Querna at Jul 6, 2005 at 3:37 pm
    Lucene4c is optional for mod_mbox. It is not required.

    All the current features for mod_mbox work just fine without Lucene4c.

    -Paul
    steve johnson wrote:
    Hi,
    I'm trying to build an development environment for a
    friend to do some mod_mbox work that requires
    lucene4c. After 2 whole days of building packages and
    searching these archives for hints my only comment is
    "WoW". I understand a lot of this stuff is in flux so
    I don't expect a FAQ or Howto but I'm wondering if
    someone can list the components and version numbers
    of the packages they use to build lucene4c. After
    reading a lot of email from this list I tried using
    building gcj-backend branch with apr 1.1 (and 1.0 and
    0.9) and gcc4.0 (and 3.4 and 3.3) and had no luck.
    Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

    Steve
  • Steve johnson at Jul 6, 2005 at 3:44 pm
    The developer I am building this for will be working
    adding search functionality to mod_mbox using
    lucene4c.

    BTW using the trunk apr and gcc 4.0 got me lucene4c
    built. mod_mbox doesn't build (can't fine lucene4c
    includes) but that isn't an issue for this list I
    would assume.


    --- Paul Querna wrote:
    Lucene4c is optional for mod_mbox. It is not
    required.

    All the current features for mod_mbox work just fine
    without Lucene4c.

    -Paul
    steve johnson wrote:
    Hi,
    I'm trying to build an development environment for a
    friend to do some mod_mbox work that requires
    lucene4c. After 2 whole days of building packages and
    searching these archives for hints my only comment is
    "WoW". I understand a lot of this stuff is in flux so
    I don't expect a FAQ or Howto but I'm wondering if
    someone can list the components and version numbers
    of the packages they use to build lucene4c. After
    reading a lot of email from this list I tried using
    building gcj-backend branch with apr 1.1 (and 1.0 and
    0.9) and gcc4.0 (and 3.4 and 3.3) and had no luck.
    Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

    Steve
  • Owen McCabe at Jul 7, 2005 at 4:51 am

    And now that you mention it, if you do get it working then reducing the
    steps you need to take into a HOWTO would be quite useful...

    -garrett
    Here's what I remember doing. Most of this was gleaned from other mail
    on the list.

    Get gcc 4.0, g++ 4.0, gcj 4.0, libgcj6, libgcj6-dev.

    If you end up having trouble getting lucene4c to use the newer
    compiler versions instead of your old ones, try making links to them
    in a directory and adding that directory to your path. i.e. something
    like ln -s /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 ~/bin/gcc
    Then add ~/bin/gcc to your path

    Get the latest version of apr:
    $svn checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/apr/apr/trunk/ apr
    configure with --experimental-libtool
    make and install
    note the install path

    Get the latest version of lucene4c
    $svn checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/lucene4c/trunk lucene4c

    run the bootstrap script. if that fails, you may need to install
    autoconf, automake or something else

    run configure with --with-apr=<your apr path>
    if anything has a "no" beside it in the output, you probably need to
    install it or fix something

    run make and that should be it hopefully.

    If you're using a very recent version of gcc and you get an error like "global
    qualification of class name is invalid before : token" take a look here:
    http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-c-dev/200507.mbox/%3ce679c35705070520504ddf9a0d@mail.gmail.com%3e


    Apologies if parts of this are too obvious (or too vague). I'm not
    familiar enough to know where meat is needed.

    -owen
  • Garrett Rooney at Jul 7, 2005 at 4:53 am

    Owen McCabe wrote:

    Apologies if parts of this are too obvious (or too vague). I'm not
    familiar enough to know where meat is needed.
    Thanks, I'll see if I can find some time this weekend to work this into
    a howto for the web site. The site really needs updating anyway, so
    this will make for a good excuse to do it ;-)

    -garrett

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupc-dev @
categorieslucene
postedJul 6, '05 at 2:33p
activeJul 7, '05 at 4:53a
posts7
users4
websitelucene.apache.org

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2021 Grokbase