Thanks,
Matt

Search Discussions

  • Steven Wong at Oct 10, 2011 at 11:44 pm
    I don't have experience with this setup, but apparently the page you're looking for has moved to https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/HiveDerbyServerMode.

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Matt Kennedy
    Sent: Monday, October 10, 2011 9:17 AM
    To: user@hive.apache.org
    Subject: HiveDerbyServerMode

    I'd like to set up the Hive metastore such that I'm running "hive
    --service hiveserver" which itself would use an embedded Derby
    database. Then my hive clients would connect to the remote metastore.
    In searching this mailing list, I have come across a number of links
    to http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HiveDerbyServerMode which does not
    appear to exist anymore.

    Has that page been removed because what I'm trying to attempt is a bad
    idea? Or does somebody have alternative instructions for that
    configuration. I've read:
    http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hive/AdminManual/MetastoreAdmin but it
    doesn't specifically cover the case I'm asking about.

    Thanks,
    Matt
  • Chinna Rao Lalam 72745 at Oct 11, 2011 at 3:51 am
    Hi,

    To start HiveDerbyServerMode

    In hive these 2 configuration need to configure

    <property>
    <name>javax.jdo.option.ConnectionURL</name>
    <value>jdbc:derby//{derbyIP}:1527/metastore_db;create=true</value>
    <description>JDBC connect string for a JDBC metastore</description>
    </property>

    <property>
    <name>javax.jdo.option.ConnectionDriverName</name>
    <value>org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver</value>
    <description>Driver class name for a JDBC metastore</description>
    </property>

    In hive/lib keep these derbyclient.jar,derbytools.jar jars

    Start the derby in server mode in this machine {derbyIP}

    Hope it helps,
    Chinna Rao Lalam

    I'd like to set up the Hive metastore such that I'm running "hive
    --service hiveserver" which itself would use an embedded Derby
    database. Then my hive clients would connect to the remote metastore.
    In searching this mailing list, I have come across a number of links
    to http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HiveDerbyServerMode which does not
    appear to exist anymore.

    Has that page been removed because what I'm trying to attempt is a bad
    idea? Or does somebody have alternative instructions for that
    configuration. I've read:
    http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hive/AdminManual/MetastoreAdmin but it
    doesn't specifically cover the case I'm asking about.

    Thanks,
    Matt

groupuser @
categorieshive, hadoop