Grokbase Groups Hive user July 2011

I am using the stack of hive+hbase+hadoop. We had an existing stack of:
hadoop: 0.20.2
hbase: 0.20.6
hive: 0.6.0
db-derby: 10.4.2.0

And this is running well. However it doesnt have functions like "covar_pop"
which I need for my purpose. Hence I ungraded only hive out of this stack to
0.7.1. However it is failing with the error:
hive> show tables;
FAILED: Error in metadata: javax.jdo.JDOFatalInternalException: Error
creating transactional connection factory
NestedThrowables:
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask

Can you please help me around which version of hadoop and hbase should I be
using to correctly set it up? I need the analytical functions for my
purpose.

Thanks,
Mayuresh
--
-Mayuresh

Search Discussions

  • Mayuresh at Jul 25, 2011 at 2:16 pm
    Hi,

    Overcame this problem. Had to copy some derby jars into hive libs.

    however after this too, it fails with class not found exception for the
    class zookeeperexception.

    Then checked that the hive version comes with hbase 0.89.0 hbase jars.

    So it all boils down again on the versions of the stack.

    Can you please guide me around what might be the best alternative? Now I am
    going to try hbase 0.89.0. However I don't know whether I can make it work
    as it requires hadoop 0.20-append.

    Please guide me around the best possible combination.

    Thanks,
    Mayuresh
    Overcame this problem. Had to copy some derby jars into hive libs.

    however after this too, it fails with class not found exception for the
    class zookeeperexception.

    Then checked that the hive version comes with hbase 0.89.0 hbase jars.

    So it all boils down again on the versions of the stack.

    Can you please guide me around what might be the best alternative? Now I am
    going to try hbase 0.89.0. However I don't know whether I can make it work
    as it requires hadoop 0.20-append.

    Please guide me around the best possible combination.

    Thanks,
    Mayuresh
  • Viral Bajaria at Jul 26, 2011 at 5:47 pm
    My current setup uses
    hadoop: 0.20.2 (with some patches... don't remember which one's)
    hbase : 0.89
    hive : 0.5

    I don't need derby db since I use mysql as my metastore. hbase 0.89 should
    work with 0.20

    -Viral
    Overcame this problem. Had to copy some derby jars into hive libs.

    however after this too, it fails with class not found exception for the
    class zookeeperexception.

    Then checked that the hive version comes with hbase 0.89.0 hbase jars.

    So it all boils down again on the versions of the stack.

    Can you please guide me around what might be the best alternative? Now I am
    going to try hbase 0.89.0. However I don't know whether I can make it work
    as it requires hadoop 0.20-append.

    Please guide me around the best possible combination.

    Thanks,
    Mayuresh
    I finally gave up on setting this up, and installed cloudera cdh3 stack. The
    versions are:
    hadoop-0.20.2+923.97
    hive-0.7.1+42.4
    hbase-0.90.3+15.3
[...]