Grokbase Groups Hive user July 2011
I was able to use Hive successfully a few weeks ago. When I tried again recently, I ran into issues and suspected that the problems may have been related to Hive's metastore. For better or worse, I tried to simply delete the "metastore_db" folder and start fresh. However, the "metastore_db" folder does not seem to be automatically created I run Hive and I still see the same error messages that I saw before deleting the "metastore_db" folder.

Just for reference: I'm running hadoop on Mac OS X in psuedo-distributed mode and the mapreduce jobs seem to complete without any issue. I do not see any significant error or warning messages in datanode, task tracker, job tracker, name node, etc. Also, as far as I can tell, Derby is installed and none of the write permissions should be an issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Error from the Hive log:

NestedThrowables:
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.HiveException: javax.jdo.JDOFatalInternalException: Unexpected exception caught.
NestedThrowables:
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Hive.getDatabase(Hive.java:1028)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Hive.databaseExists(Hive.java:1013)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask.showTables(DDLTask.java:1691)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask.execute(DDLTask.java:289)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.Task.executeTask(Task.java:130)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.TaskRunner.runSequential(TaskRunner.java:57)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.launchTask(Driver.java:1063)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.execute(Driver.java:900)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.run(Driver.java:748)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.processCmd(CliDriver.java:164)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.processLine(CliDriver.java:241)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.main(CliDriver.java:456)
Caused by: javax.jdo.JDOFatalInternalException: Unexpected exception caught.
NestedThrowables:
at javax.jdo.JDOHelper.invokeGetPersistenceManagerFactoryOnImplementation(JDOHelper.java:1186)
at javax.jdo.JDOHelper.getPersistenceManagerFactory(JDOHelper.java:803)
at javax.jdo.JDOHelper.getPersistenceManagerFactory(JDOHelper.java:698)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.ObjectStore.getPMF(ObjectStore.java:234)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.ObjectStore.getPersistenceManager(ObjectStore.java:261)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.ObjectStore.initialize(ObjectStore.java:196)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.ObjectStore.setConf(ObjectStore.java:171)
at org.apache.hadoop.util.ReflectionUtils.setConf(ReflectionUtils.java:62)
at org.apache.hadoop.util.ReflectionUtils.newInstance(ReflectionUtils.java:117)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore$HMSHandler.getMS(HiveMetaStore.java:354)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore$HMSHandler.executeWithRetry(HiveMetaStore.java:306)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore$HMSHandler.createDefaultDB(HiveMetaStore.java:451)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore$HMSHandler.init(HiveMetaStore.java:232)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore$HMSHandler.(HiveMetaStoreClient.java:108)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Hive.createMetaStoreClient(Hive.java:1855)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Hive.getMSC(Hive.java:1865)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Hive.getDatabase(Hive.java:1024)
... 16 more
at javax.jdo.JDOHelper$16.run(JDOHelper.java:1958)
at javax.jdo.JDOHelper.invoke(JDOHelper.java:1953)
at javax.jdo.JDOHelper.invokeGetPersistenceManagerFactoryOnImplementation(JDOHelper.java:1159)
... 33 more
at org.datanucleus.plugin.NonManagedPluginRegistry.registerBundle(NonManagedPluginRegistry.java:443)
at org.datanucleus.plugin.NonManagedPluginRegistry.registerBundle(NonManagedPluginRegistry.java:355)
at org.datanucleus.plugin.NonManagedPluginRegistry.registerExtensions(NonManagedPluginRegistry.java:215)
at org.datanucleus.plugin.NonManagedPluginRegistry.registerExtensionPoints(NonManagedPluginRegistry.java:156)
at org.datanucleus.plugin.PluginManager.registerExtensionPoints(PluginManager.java:82)
at org.datanucleus.OMFContext.(OMFContext.java:137)
at org.datanucleus.ObjectManagerFactoryImpl.initialiseOMFContext(ObjectManagerFactoryImpl.java:132)
at org.datanucleus.jdo.JDOPersistenceManagerFactory.initialiseProperties(JDOPersistenceManagerFactory.java:363)
at org.datanucleus.jdo.JDOPersistenceManagerFactory.(JDOPersistenceManagerFactory.java:255)
at org.datanucleus.jdo.JDOPersistenceManagerFactory.getPersistenceManagerFactory(JDOPersistenceManagerFactory.java:182)
... 41 more

2011-06-30 17:05:05,060 ERROR ql.Driver (SessionState.java:printError(343)) - FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask

Search Discussions

  • Matthieu Martin at Jul 1, 2011 at 5:36 am
    Turns out this was the same issue as the one discussed here:

    http://getsatisfaction.com/cloudera/topics/hive_error_error_in_metadata_javax_jdo_jdofatalinternalexception

    Removing the $HADOOP_HOME/build directory worked like a charm.
[...]

    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore$HMSHandler.<init>(HiveMetaStore.java:197)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStoreClient.<init>(HiveMetaStoreClient.java:108)
[...]
    at org.datanucleus.OMFContext.<init>(OMFContext.java:156)
    at org.datanucleus.OMFContext.<init>(OMFContext.java:137)
    at org.datanucleus.ObjectManagerFactoryImpl.initialiseOMFContext(ObjectManagerFactoryImpl.java:132)
    at org.datanucleus.jdo.JDOPersistenceManagerFactory.initialiseProperties(JDOPersistenceManagerFactory.java:363)
    at org.datanucleus.jdo.JDOPersistenceManagerFactory.<init>(JDOPersistenceManagerFactory.java:307)
    at org.datanucleus.jdo.JDOPersistenceManagerFactory.createPersistenceManagerFactory(JDOPersistenceManagerFactory.java:255)
    at org.datanucleus.jdo.JDOPersistenceManagerFactory.getPersistenceManagerFactory(JDOPersistenceManagerFactory.java:182)
    ... 41 more

    2011-06-30 17:05:05,060 ERROR ql.Driver (SessionState.java:printError(343)) - FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask

groupuser @
categorieshive, hadoop
postedJul 1, '11 at 1:03a
activeJul 1, '11 at 5:36a