Grokbase Groups Hive user June 2011

I'm new to Hive and hoping someone can help me resolve an issue. I've
Googled it, but have not been able to find a solution.
Below is my configuration info:

Windows XP SP3
Cygwin 1.7.9
Hadoop 0.20.2 (running on a single-node in a pseudo-distributed mode)
Hive 0.7.1
Java 1.6.0_26

I've been able to get Hadoop up and running, and have run several of the
sample hadoop jobs (ie wordcount). I've installed hive and configured
it as described on the Apache Hive Getting Started page:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/GettingStarted#GettingStarted-Hive%2CMapReduceandLocalMode

I've configure the hadoop file system as follows:

$HADOOP_HOME/bin/hadoop fs -mkdir /tmp
$HADOOP_HOME/bin/hadoop fs -mkdir /user/hive/warehouse
$HADOOP_HOME/bin/hadoop fs -chmod g+w /tmp
$HADOOP_HOME/bin/hadoop fs -chmod g+w /user/hive/warehouse

I've set $HIVE_HOME to the hive install directory.

I kept the default configuration for the metadata store.

When I run hive, I get the 'hive>' prompt as expected.

When I try to execute SHOW TABLES;, I get the following error:

hive> SHOW TABLES;
FAILED: Parse Error: line 1:0 cannot recognize input near 'SWTABLES'
'<EOF>' '<EOF>'

The log shows the following error:
2011-06-28 16:11:59,234 ERROR ql.Driver
(SessionState.java:printError(343)) - FAILED: Parse Error: line 1:0
cannot recognize input near 'SWTABLES' '<EOF>' '<EOF>'

org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.parse.ParseException: line 1:0 cannot
recognize input near 'SWTABLES' '<EOF>' '(ParseDriver.java:438)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.compile(Driver.java:327)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.run(Driver.java:736)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.processCmd(CliDriver.java:164)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.processLine(CliDriver.java:241)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.main(CliDriver.java:456)
at
at

I've tried to reinstall hive, but that has not helped. Any suggestions
anyone might have is greatly appreciated.

-Sal

Search Discussions

  • Travis Powell at Jun 28, 2011 at 11:46 pm
    Don't bother trying to do Hive on Cygwin w/ Windows.

    I tried a million different configurations and could never get it to
    work.

    I'd recommend downloading the Cloudera VM and the free VMWare player
    instead for development work, since those are tried-and-true work
    environments.

    Travis Powell / tpowell@tealeaf.com
[...]

    a:39)
    at
    Impl.java:25)

    I've tried to reinstall hive, but that has not helped. Any suggestions
    anyone might have is greatly appreciated.

    -Sal
  • Sal Scalisi at Jun 29, 2011 at 3:35 pm
    Thanks.

    -Sal
[...]

    org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.parse.ParseDriver.parse(ParseDriver.java:438)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.compile(Driver.java:327)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.run(Driver.java:736)
    at
    org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.processCmd(CliDriver.java:164)
    at
    org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.processLine(CliDriver.java:241)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.main(CliDriver.java:456)
    at
    a:39)
    at
    Impl.java:25)

    I've tried to reinstall hive, but that has not helped. Any suggestions
    anyone might have is greatly appreciated.

    -Sal

groupuser @
categorieshive, hadoop
postedJun 28, '11 at 11:31p
activeJun 29, '11 at 3:35p
websitehive.apache.org

2 users in discussion

Sal Scalisi: 2 posts Travis Powell: 1 post