Grokbase Groups Hive user June 2011
Hello ,

I have setup Hive server (0.6.0) in standalone mode with meta-store in MYSQL.
While executing JDBC SQL queries, we discovered that

1. create table fails with error as "table already exists", even if table was not existing.

2. However Table gets created

3. Any SQL(select,delete,drop) query through SQL from CLI or JDBC for same or "other table", results with SQL exceptions like

a. Error code 9

b. "method not found"

c. Table already exists
After searching I found that following page mentioned that HiveServer is "single threaded"
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hive/HiveServer
however when "today" I checked it , it is showing "Hive Server is Multithreaded". However the page kept recommendation of running one HiveServer for each client. This page gives reference to JIRA Hive-80 .
( https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-80 ).

A) I want to know whether errors mentioned above are related to multi-threaded feature's problem of HiveServer?
Or some other issue?

B) Is there any issue if particular table gets created and dropped many times?
From yesterday the issue is not getting reproduced, probably because we have serialized access to Hive-Server. But not sure if the issue is resolved.
Regards,
Vikram

DISCLAIMER
==========

  • Shouguo Li at Jun 21, 2011 at 4:14 pm
    that's odd error case... hope someone can point you to the right direction
    in fixing it.
    in the mean time, if you don't have to use mysql as metastore, try derby,
    http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HiveDerbyServerMode
    i followed that page and set up derby server, works without any problems. :)

    good luck!
[...]

    *

    ( https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-80 ).****

    ** **

    **A) **I want to know whether errors mentioned above are related to
    multi-threaded feature’s problem of HiveServer?****

    Or some other issue?****

    **B) **Is there any issue if particular table gets created and
    dropped many times?****

    ** **

    From yesterday the issue is not getting reproduced, probably because we
    have serialized access to Hive-Server. But not sure if the issue is
    resolved.****

    ** **

    Regards,****

    Vikram****

    ** **

    DISCLAIMER ========== This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential
    information which is the property of Persistent Systems Ltd. It is intended
    only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If
    you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, retain,
    copy, print, distribute or use this message. If you have received this
    communication in error, please notify the sender and delete all copies of
    this message. Persistent Systems Ltd. does not accept any liability for
    virus infected mails.
  • Vikramsinh Katkar at Jun 23, 2011 at 3:50 am
    Hello ,

    I will try with Network Derby, however I expected Mysql to perform better than Derby. I will keep you posted on result.

    However please note I used to get following kind of errors :

    1)

    FAILED: Error in metadata: AlreadyExistsException(message:Table DL_611_VerificationOutput_DSF_111 already exists)
    11/06/14 21:17:09 ERROR exec.DDLTask: FAILED: Error in metadata: AlreadyExistsException(message:Table DL_611_VerificationOutput_DSF_111 already exists)
    org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.HiveException: AlreadyExistsException(message:Table DL_611_VerificationOutput_DSF_111 already exists)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Hive.createTable(Hive.java:473)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask.createTable(DDLTask.java:3146)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask.execute(DDLTask.java:213)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.Task.executeTask(Task.java:130)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.TaskRunner.runSequential(TaskRunner.java:57)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.launchTask(Driver.java:1063)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.execute(Driver.java:900)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.run(Driver.java:748)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.service.HiveServer$HiveServerHandler.execute(HiveServer.java:116)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.service.ThriftHive$Processor$execute.process(ThriftHive.java:699)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.service.ThriftHive$Processor.process(ThriftHive.java:677)
    at org.apache.thrift.server.TThreadPoolServer$WorkerProcess.run(TThreadPoolServer.java:253)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
    Caused by: AlreadyExistsException(message:Table DL_611_VerificationOutput_DSF_111 already exists)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore$HMSHandler.create_table_core(HiveMetaStore.java:888)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore$HMSHandler.access$600(HiveMetaStore.java:109)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore$HMSHandler$15.run(HiveMetaStore.java:945)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore$HMSHandler$15.run(HiveMetaStore.java:942)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore$HMSHandler.executeWithRetry(HiveMetaStore.java:307)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore$HMSHandler.create_table(HiveMetaStore.java:942)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStoreClient.createTable(HiveMetaStoreClient.java:348)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Hive.createTable(Hive.java:470)
    ... 14 more

    FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask
    11/06/14 21:17:09 ERROR ql.Driver: FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask
    OK
    OK
    FAILED: Error in metadata: AlreadyExistsException(message:Table DL_215_VerificationOutput_ML_110MLF_525 already exists)
    11/06/14 21:17:15 ERROR exec.DDLTask: FAILED: Error in metadata: AlreadyExistsException(message:Table DL_215_VerificationOutput_ML_110MLF_525 already exists)
    org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.HiveException: AlreadyExistsException(message:Table DL_215_VerificationOutput_ML_110MLF_525 already exists)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Hive.createTable(Hive.java:473)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask.createTable(DDLTask.java:3146)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask.execute(DDLTask.java:213)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.Task.executeTask(Task.java:130)

    2)

    Hive history file=/tmp/hadoop/hive_job_log_hadoop_201106211827_502889339.txt
    FAILED: Error in metadata: AlreadyExistsException(message:Table tempCorealTable already exists)
    11/06/14 18:27:04 ERROR exec.DDLTask: FAILED: Error in metadata: AlreadyExistsException(message:Table tempCorealTable already exists)
    org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.HiveException: AlreadyExistsException(message:Table tempCorealTable already exists)
[...]
    Caused by: AlreadyExistsException(message:Table tempCorealTable already exists)
[...]

    From yesterday the issue is not getting reproduced, probably because we have serialized access to Hive-Server. But not sure if the issue is resolved.
    Regards,
    Vikram

    DISCLAIMER ========== This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information which is the property of Persistent Systems Ltd. It is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, retain, copy, print, distribute or use this message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete all copies of this message. Persistent Systems Ltd. does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.

    DISCLAIMER
    ==========
  • Shouguo Li at Jun 23, 2011 at 6:51 am
    hmm, not meant to state the obvious, but did you check to see if the table
    you're trying to create already exist in hive?
    what query did u use that triggered the error?

[...]

    :)

[...]

    From yesterday the issue is not getting reproduced, probably because we
[...]

groupuser @
categorieshive, hadoop
postedJun 21, '11 at 9:56a
activeJun 23, '11 at 6:51a
websitehive.apache.org

2 users in discussion

Shouguo Li: 2 posts Vikramsinh Katkar: 2 posts