Grokbase Groups Hive user June 2011
Hi Experts,

I need one solution for hive in my project. Actually I have to
create a pivot table type of concept in hive. I don't know how to do the
same. But I have studied and implemented in hive for the same. But by
looking into it, I am not satisfied with the solution and I am not knowing
about the performance overhead also. You people please inform me whether
any other way better than this to implement pivot table in hive.

I have referenced the following site for understanding the basic concept of
pivot table.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/spike/archive/2009/03/03/pivot-tables-in-sql-server-a-simple-sample.aspx

I am attaching the input file and hive implementation which I have done for
the same.

Attachments:

1. testfile_pivot.txt : This file contains the input data for creating table
for both sql server and hive. You please remove the heading and the under
line and load data into hive
2. pivottable.txt : contains sql server command for creating table,
populating table and pivot table creation and hive command for table
creation. loading data into hive and .
pivot table creation statements etc

Please reply me your suggestions.

--