Grokbase Groups Hive user May 2011
Hey friends,

I have been using Hive to explore my HDFS for a while now.

In my organization we have some applicative information in SqlServer that occasionally I need to join with data I have in the HDFS.

When I need to do such a join, I import the data from the SqlServer using sqoop.

I wanted to know, if there is a way in which hive will import the data on demand, according to the query, for example, if I am selecting from a table that hive recognizes as a SqlServer table, it will import that table or(update if already exists) from sqlserver, and later will run the select...

Thanks,
Guy Doulberg

Search Discussions

  • Edward Capriolo at May 31, 2011 at 3:02 pm
    There is a ticket open for a JDBC storage handler. I envision this as a
    sqoop on demand.

    Edward
    I have been using Hive to explore my HDFS for a while now.

    In my organization we have some applicative information in SqlServer that
    occasionally I need to join with data I have in the HDFS.

    When I need to do such a join, I import the data from the SqlServer using
    sqoop.

    I wanted to know, if there is a way in which hive will import the data on
    demand, according to the query, for example, if I am selecting from a table
    that hive recognizes as a SqlServer table, it will import that table
    or(update if already exists) from sqlserver, and later will run the select…

    Thanks,

    Guy Doulberg

  • Andrew Wilson at May 31, 2011 at 3:22 pm
    Yes, here is the ticket: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-1555?page=com.atlassian.streams.streams-jira-plugin%3Aactivity-stream-issue-tab#issue-tabs<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-1555?page=com.atlassian.streams.streams-jira-plugin:activity-stream-issue-tab#issue-tabs>

    We use it fairly regularly in production and it works well. I will try to get a patch uploaded soon.
[...]

  • Guy Doulberg at Jun 1, 2011 at 6:20 am
    Thanks Andrew,

    I would really like to try the patch...

[...]

groupuser @
categorieshive, hadoop