Grokbase Groups Hive user May 2011

I have this burning question. Normally I would test it myself, but I don't
have access to a cluster right now.

I wonder what happens if you do a INSERT OVERWRITE TABLE X PARTITION
(B="some_value")....... after you have renamed all the files (like 000000_0
to ren_000000_0 etc.) that were in subfolder B="some_value" before executing
this statement.

-Will the renamed files be deleted anyway because they belong to the
partition that is currently being inserted/overwritten?
-Or will the renamed files remain because there will certainly be no new
files added to this subfolder with the same name?

Thanks

--

Jasper

groupuser @