Grokbase Groups Hive user April 2011
Hi
Some times the data analyst need to store the temp result into temp
tables. But the data analyst forgot the clear the temp tables.
As the hive administrator, I suggest make the data analyst work in a
separate namespace , and store the temp tables for themselves' only .

For example, Tim works at the namespace Time, and he can create a table
named tmp_table. Jack can also create the same table:tmp_table. but both
Time and Jack can see the main data table.

can hive support this?

--
haitao.yao@Beijing

Search Discussions

  • Edward Capriolo at Apr 20, 2011 at 2:22 pm

    Some times the data analyst need to store the temp result into temp
    tables. But the data analyst forgot the clear the temp tables.
    As the hive administrator, I suggest make the data analyst work in a
    separate namespace , and store the temp tables for themselves' only .

    For example, Tim works at the namespace Time, and he can create a table
    named tmp_table. Jack can also create the same table:tmp_table. but both
    Time and Jack can see the main data table.
    can hive support this?

    --
    haitao.yao@Beijing

    Yes. Hive has support for separate catalogues starting in version 0.6.X

    Edward
  • Erix Yao at Apr 21, 2011 at 3:36 am
    I can't find any documentation on the wiki, where's the doc?

    Some times the data analyst need to store the temp result into temp
    tables. But the data analyst forgot the clear the temp tables.
    As the hive administrator, I suggest make the data analyst work in a
    separate namespace , and store the temp tables for themselves' only .

    For example, Tim works at the namespace Time, and he can create a table
    named tmp_table. Jack can also create the same table:tmp_table. but both
    Time and Jack can see the main data table.
    can hive support this?

    --
    haitao.yao@Beijing

    Yes. Hive has support for separate catalogues starting in version 0.6.X

    Edward

    --
    haitao.yao@Beijing
  • Igor Tatarinov at Apr 21, 2011 at 4:12 am
    I think I tried CREATE db and USE db in the past but it was impossible to
    access tables from another database using the db.table syntax.
    Does that work now?
    I can't find any documentation on the wiki, where's the doc?

    Some times the data analyst need to store the temp result into temp
    tables. But the data analyst forgot the clear the temp tables.
    As the hive administrator, I suggest make the data analyst work in a
    separate namespace , and store the temp tables for themselves' only .

    For example, Tim works at the namespace Time, and he can create a table
    named tmp_table. Jack can also create the same table:tmp_table. but both
    Time and Jack can see the main data table.
    can hive support this?

    --
    haitao.yao@Beijing

    Yes. Hive has support for separate catalogues starting in version 0.6.X

    Edward

    --
    haitao.yao@Beijing

  • Carl Steinbach at Apr 21, 2011 at 5:05 am
    The ability to select across mulitple databases was added in 0.7.0.
[...]

groupuser @
categorieshive, hadoop
postedApr 20, '11 at 10:32a
activeApr 21, '11 at 5:05a