Grokbase Groups Hive user April 2011

Wonder if anyone can help please?

I've read that you can use Hive to create HBase tables and map the
columns across.

When this is used, if the HBase data is changed directly, will Hive be
able to see this 'new data' when queries are run?

(Or is Hive still read-only/insert once when used this way).

Regards

Stuart Scott

System Architect
emis intellectual technology
Fulford Grange, Micklefield Lane
Rawdon Leeds LS19 6BA
E-mail: stuart.scott@e-mis.com
Website: www.emisit.com <outbind://26/www.emisit.com>

Privileged and/or Confidential information may be contained in this
message. If you are not the original addressee indicated in this message
(or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not
copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, please delete this
message, and notify us immediately. Opinions, conclusions and other
information expressed in this message are not given or endorsed by EMIS
nor can I conclude contracts on its behalf unless otherwise indicated by
an authorised representative independently of this message.

EMIS reserves the right to monitor, intercept and (where appropriate)
read all incoming and outgoing communications. By replying to this
message and where necessary you are taken as being aware of and giving
consent to such monitoring, interception and reading.

EMIS is a trading name of Egton Medical Information Systems Limited.
Registered in England. No 2117205. Registered Office: Fulford Grange,
Micklefield Lane, Rawdon, Leeds, LS19 6BA

Search Discussions

  • Ankit Jain at Apr 19, 2011 at 1:04 pm
    Hi stuart,
    If the hbase data is changed directory,hive will able to read thoes data.In
    that case,hive only contains metadata information.
[...]

  • Ankit Jain at Apr 19, 2011 at 1:09 pm
    Hi stuart,

    In above case,we create hive external table.so,actual data is reside in
    hbase and hive only contains metadata information.In that case,whenever we
    run any query over hive , it read data from hbase.
[...]

  • Stuart Scott at Apr 19, 2011 at 1:50 pm
    Hi Ankit,

    Thanks very much for the information.

    That should be really helpful.

    Website: www.emisit.com <http://www.emisit.com>

[...]

groupuser @
categorieshive, hadoop
postedApr 19, '11 at 12:57p
activeApr 19, '11 at 1:50p
websitehive.apache.org

2 users in discussion

Stuart Scott: 2 posts Ankit Jain: 2 posts