Grokbase Groups Hive user April 2011
Hello,

I am using the hive/hbase integration (which is a great feature) on a standalone one machine environment. For production I set up a hadoop cluster and now hbase. Here
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hive/HBaseIntegration
I read I should use hbase 0.89.
And here
http://hbase.apache.org/book/notsoquick.html
its written you must use "the sync-supporting Hadoop jar".
Does the following setup will work?
I chose hbase 0.90 (I couldn't find 0.89). Because of the sync-supporting I would take the hadoop-core-0.20-append.jar from hbase 0.90 release and replace the hadoop jars in my hadoop installations with that. The hbase 0.90 jar I will replace with the 0.89 jar from the hive 0.7.0 release. Will it come to compatibility trouble with this version setup? And what about stability and version updates in future...

Thanks
labtrax

  • John Sichi at Apr 11, 2011 at 6:16 pm
    Until HBase has a well-defined separation between client and server, including protocol compatibility across versions, the situation is going to remain sticky.

    I think I heard that 0.89 and 0.90 should be protocol compatible, but I haven't confirmed that. If it's true, then you should be able to just use Hive 0.7 as is (with the 0.89 jars) against an HBase 0.90 cluster.

    If that's not true, then follow the procedure described in the wiki page to rebuild Hive from source after editing ivy/libraries.properties to change the hbase.version property.

    I'm not sure about the Hadoop append part; maybe someone else knows the answer regarding the Hive/HBase dependencies there.

    JVS
[...]

  • Labtrax at Apr 17, 2011 at 2:31 pm
    Thanks John, I will give it a try.. Hopefully it will work. I'll report it later here.
    -------- Original-Nachricht --------