Grokbase Groups Hive user March 2011
Hi!

I've tried to run a create table statement via the HiveCLI in Eclipse
and it fails with the following exception:
FAILED: Error in metadata: MetaException(message:Got exception:
java.io.FileNotFoundException File file:/user/hive/warehouse/customer
does not exist.)
11/03/21 19:05:36 ERROR exec.DDLTask: FAILED: Error in metadata:
MetaException(message:Got exception: java.io.FileNotFoundException File
file:/user/hive/warehouse/customer does not exist.)
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.HiveException:
MetaException(message:Got exception: java.io.FileNotFoundException File
file:/user/hive/warehouse/customer does not exist.)

If I run the same create statement with the same Hive project on command
line, I can create the table without problems. The statement is:
create table customer (C_CUSTKEY INT, C_NAME STRING, C_ADDRESS STRING,
C_NATIONKEY INT, C_PHONE STRING, C_ACCTBAL DOUBLE, C_MKTSEGMENT STRING,
C_COMMENT STRING) ROW FORMAT DELIMITED FIELDS TERMINATED BY '|' STORED
AS TEXTFILE;

I have set up the /tmp and /user/hive/warehouse directories in Hadoop as
instructed in the wiki and the access rights are also set accordingly. I
also set the hive.metastore.warehouse.dir parameter in my hive-site.xml
to /user/hive/warehouse.

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks,
Anja

Search Discussions

  • Thiruvel Thirumoolan at Mar 22, 2011 at 8:50 am
    Looks like your IDE classpath does not include HADOOP_CONF_DIR. Your warehouse and tmp dirs are in Hadoop and the table dir creation failures are in local file system.
[...]

  • Anja Gruenheid at Mar 22, 2011 at 12:54 pm
    Hi!

    Where (and what) exactly do I have to set it? I added HADOOP_CONF_DIR to
    the path variables and to the source folders in the build path, but it
    doesn't work.

    Thanks,
    Anja

[...]

groupuser @