I am trying to query against a partitioned Hive table where the input
format of different partitions may be different. I'd like to change
the partition file format, and reading the language manual at
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hive/LanguageManual, it seems to
indicate that I should be able to do something like this:

ALTER TABLE foo PARTITION (date='2011-02-02')
SET FILEFORMAT
INPUTFORMAT "org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TextInputFormat"
OUTPUTFORMAT
"org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.io.HiveIgnoreKeyTextOutputFormat";

I've tried this with both 0.5 and 0.6 Hive versions, but get a parse error:
FAILED: Parse Error: line 1:12 cannot recognize input 'foo' in
alter table statement

Is this command not yet available in the released versions of Hive?

Secondly, I apologize if this has been addressed already, but I've
been unable to find this in the archives. Is there a searchable
archive of the Hive users mailing list?

Thanks,
Charlie

Search Discussions

  • Edward Capriolo at Feb 24, 2011 at 5:13 pm

[...]

    Unfortunately that is a hive 0.7.0 (not yet released) feature. This
    happens from time to time the wiki gets updated with a future ware
    feature.

groupuser @
categorieshive, hadoop
postedFeb 24, '11 at 3:27p
activeFeb 24, '11 at 5:13p
websitehive.apache.org

2 users in discussion

Charlie w: 1 post Edward Capriolo: 1 post