I have a question regarding the existing date functions in Hive (
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hive/LanguageManual/UDF#Date_Functions)

The unix_timestamp() functions return a bigint while the from_unixtime()
accepts an int. I don't think that's the right thing to do ? the
from_unixtime should accept a bigint so that you can use both functions as a
nested operation.

i.e. from_unixtime(unix_timestamp(<datestring>,<pattern>))

Thanks,
Viral

Search Discussions

  • Edward Capriolo at Feb 18, 2011 at 9:09 pm

    I have a question regarding the existing date functions in Hive
    (http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hive/LanguageManual/UDF#Date_Functions)
    The unix_timestamp() functions return a bigint while the from_unixtime()
    accepts an int. I don't think that's the right thing to do ? the
    from_unixtime should accept a bigint so that you can use both functions as a
    nested operation.
    i.e. from_unixtime(unix_timestamp(<datestring>,<pattern>))
    Thanks,
    Viral
    Patches welcome issues.apache.org/jira

groupuser @
categorieshive, hadoop
postedFeb 18, '11 at 8:48p
activeFeb 18, '11 at 9:09p
websitehive.apache.org

2 users in discussion

Viral Bajaria: 1 post Edward Capriolo: 1 post