just wondering if i have a pipe delimited file, how i can just import this data into hive:

basically i am using the microlens database, which is pipe separated. for example:

user id | age | gender | occupation | zip code

translates to

123 | 24 | M | worker | 12345

i'd like to just import this straight into Hive. my initial thoughts:
1. use unix substitute command and change all "|" to "Ctrl-A".
2. import into mysql, then use sqoop

seems it should be easier than this. can someone help?

thanks for the help.

sean

Search Discussions

  • Bryan Talbot at Dec 15, 2010 at 4:36 am
    I'll help by recommending that you get started by looking at the "Getting
    Started Guide".

    http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hive/GettingStarted

    -Bryan

    just wondering if i have a pipe delimited file, how i can just import this
    data into hive:

    basically i am using the microlens database, which is pipe separated. for
    example:

    user id | age | gender | occupation | zip code

    translates to

    123 | 24 | M | worker | 12345

    i'd like to just import this straight into Hive. my initial thoughts:
    1. use unix substitute command and change all "|" to "Ctrl-A".
    2. import into mysql, then use sqoop

    seems it should be easier than this. can someone help?

    thanks for the help.

    sean
  • Sean Curtis at Dec 15, 2010 at 4:59 am
    thanks Bryan

    should have been more specific. checked that guide and it didnt seem obvious with LOAD INFILE how to take a file that was already pipe-delimited and straight import that.

    is there a section of the doc i may have missed or some tip that can help there?

    sean
    I'll help by recommending that you get started by looking at the "Getting Started Guide".

    http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hive/GettingStarted

    -Bryan

    just wondering if i have a pipe delimited file, how i can just import this data into hive:

    basically i am using the microlens database, which is pipe separated. for example:

    user id | age | gender | occupation | zip code

    translates to

    123 | 24 | M | worker | 12345

    i'd like to just import this straight into Hive. my initial thoughts:
    1. use unix substitute command and change all "|" to "Ctrl-A".
    2. import into mysql, then use sqoop

    seems it should be easier than this. can someone help?

    thanks for the help.

    sean
  • Kirk True at Dec 15, 2010 at 5:01 am
    Hi Sean,

    The delimiter used is specified in the create table statement, not the
    LOAD DATA statement.

    Kirk

    On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 8:23 PM, Sean Curtis <sean.curtis@gmail.com
    just wondering if i have a pipe delimited file, how i can just
    import this data into hive:

    basically i am using the microlens database, which is pipe
    separated. for example:

    user id | age | gender | occupation | zip code

    translates to

    123 | 24 | M | worker | 12345

    i'd like to just import this straight into Hive. my initial thoughts:
    1. use unix substitute command and change all "|" to "Ctrl-A".
    2. import into mysql, then use sqoop

    seems it should be easier than this. can someone help?

    thanks for the help.

    sean
  • Sonal Goyal at Dec 15, 2010 at 5:19 am
    Sean,

    You can refer to
    http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hive/LanguageManual/DDL#Create.2BAC8-Drop_Table

    You can define the ROW FORMAT DELIMITED as part of the table definition and
    then load your data into the table.

    Thanks and Regards,
    Sonal
    <https://github.com/sonalgoyal/hiho>Connect Hadoop with databases,

[...]