Thanks,
Raviv

Search Discussions

  • Paul Yang at Sep 28, 2010 at 8:03 pm
    For migration, did you manually alter the column or are you relying on JDO to auto-create the schema?

    -----Original Message-----
    From: ravivmg@gmail.com On Behalf Of Raviv M-G
    Sent: Monday, September 27, 2010 11:57 PM
    To: hive-user@hadoop.apache.org
    Subject: fix for DB_LOCATION_URI NOT NULL migration error?

    Does anyone have a fix for the below error? I can see that it is
    caused by changes made in HIVE-675, but I can't find a patch or
    instructions for migrating that metastore_db that fixes the problem.

    FAILED: Error in metadata: javax.jdo.JDODataStoreException: Error(s)
    were found while auto-creating/validating the datastore for classes.
    The errors are printed in the log, and are attached to this exception.
    NestedThrowables:
    java.sql.SQLSyntaxErrorException: In an ALTER TABLE statement, the
    column 'DB_LOCATION_URI' has been specified as NOT NULL and either the
    DEFAULT clause was not specified or was specified as DEFAULT NULL.
    org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask

    Thanks,
    Raviv
  • Raviv M-G at Sep 28, 2010 at 8:14 pm
    I relied on the JDO:

    <property>
    <name>datanucleus.autoCreateSchema</name>
    <value>true</value>
    </property>

    Hive 675 apparently changed this to allows-null="false".
    https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12454730/HIVE-675-backport-v6.2.patch.txt

    Should I manually alter the derby table to allow nulls?

    Thanks!
    -Raviv

    For migration, did you manually alter the column or are you relying on JDO to auto-create the schema?

    Does anyone have a fix for the below error?  I can see that it is
    caused by changes made in HIVE-675, but I can't find a patch or
    instructions for migrating that metastore_db that fixes the problem.

    FAILED: Error in metadata: javax.jdo.JDODataStoreException: Error(s)
    were found while auto-creating/validating the datastore for classes.
    The errors are printed in the log, and are attached to this exception.
    NestedThrowables:
    java.sql.SQLSyntaxErrorException: In an ALTER TABLE statement, the
    column 'DB_LOCATION_URI' has been specified as NOT NULL and either the
    DEFAULT clause was not specified or was specified as DEFAULT NULL.
    org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask

    Thanks,
    Raviv
  • Paul Yang at Sep 28, 2010 at 8:51 pm
    In HIVE-675, Carl posted the relevant alter table commands. I tried those out on a MySQL DB, and didn't get the error when using the Hive CLI. Can you try something similar to

    ALTER TABLE DBS MODIFY `DESC` VARCHAR(4000);
    ALTER TABLE DBS ADD COLUMN DB_LOCATION_URI VARCHAR(4000) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL;

    on your DB?

    Does anyone have a fix for the below error?  I can see that it is
    caused by changes made in HIVE-675, but I can't find a patch or
    instructions for migrating that metastore_db that fixes the problem.

    FAILED: Error in metadata: javax.jdo.JDODataStoreException: Error(s)
    were found while auto-creating/validating the datastore for classes.
    The errors are printed in the log, and are attached to this exception.
    NestedThrowables:
    java.sql.SQLSyntaxErrorException: In an ALTER TABLE statement, the
    column 'DB_LOCATION_URI' has been specified as NOT NULL and either the
    DEFAULT clause was not specified or was specified as DEFAULT NULL.
    org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask

    Thanks,
    Raviv
  • Raviv M-G at Sep 28, 2010 at 10:10 pm
    Thanks, Paul! Worked like a charm.

    For Deby:

    ALTER TABLE DBS ALTER COLUMN "DESC" SET DATA TYPE VARCHAR(4000);
    ALTER TABLE DBS ALTER COLUMN "DB_LOCATION_URI" SET DATA TYPE VARCHAR(4000);
    ALTER TABLE DBS ALTER COLUMN "DB_LOCATION_URI" DEFAULT '';
    ALTER TABLE DBS ALTER COLUMN "DB_LOCATION_URI" NOT NULL;

[...]

groupuser @
categorieshive, hadoop
postedSep 28, '10 at 6:58a
activeSep 28, '10 at 10:10p