Hi All,

We are trying to fet hive 5.0 to use postgresql as a metastore, and are getting the following error:

FAILED: Error in metadata: javax.jdo.JDOFatalInternalException: Error creating transactional connection factory
NestedThrowables:
FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask

Here is the relevant portion of the hive-site.xml configuration file:

<property>
<name>javax.jdo.option.ConnectionURL</name>
<value>jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/hive?CreateDatabaseIfNotExist=true</value>
<description>JDBC connect string for a JDBC metastore</description>
</property>
<property>
<name>javax.jdo.option.ConnectionDriverName</name>
<value>com.postgresql.jdbc.Driver</value>
<description>Driver class name for a JDBC metastore</description>
</property>
<property>
<name>javax.jdo.option.ConnectionUserName</name>
<value>hadoop</value>
</property>
<property>
<name>javax.jdo.option.ConnectionPassword</name>
<value>hadoop</value>
</property>

We added these jars to no avail:

jpox-rdbms-1.2.3.jar
jpox-core-1.2.3.jar
jdo2-core-2.0.jar

We are using the Cloudera distribution of hadoop & hive, and the jdo2-api jar was already present.

Any ideas? Please help!!!!!

Thanks in advance,
Tali

Search Discussions

  • Carl Steinbach at Sep 23, 2010 at 10:25 pm
    Hi Tali,

    Is the Postgres JDBC driver JAR on your CLASSPATH? If not you need to
    download the driver JAR, stick it in a directory, and then set the
    environment variable HIVE_AUX_JARS_PATH=<driver directory>. Also, can you
    please turn on logging and send us the log messages, e.g:

    % hive -hiveconf hive.root.logger=INFO,console

    Thanks.

    Carl
[...]

  • Tali K at Sep 23, 2010 at 11:00 pm
    Thank you so much, by enabling Info logging we were able to resolve it. It was invalid Driver name.
    Thank you so much again!!!

[...]

groupuser @
categorieshive, hadoop
postedSep 23, '10 at 10:17p