August 8th, 2010
- Yongqiang He gave a presentation about his work on index support in
Slides are available here:
- John Sichi talked about his work on filter-pushdown optimizations.
This is applicable to the HBase storage handler and the new index
- Pradeep Kamath gave an update on progress with Howl.
The Howl source code is available on GitHub </hadoop/GitHub> here:
- Starting to work on security for Howl. For the first iteration the
plan is to base it on DFS permissions.
- General agreement that we should aim to desupport pre-0.20.0 versions
of Hadoop in Hive 0.7.0. This will allow us to remove the shim layer and
will make it easier to transition to the new mapreduce APIs. But we also
want to get a better idea of how many users are stuck on pre-0.20 versions
- Remove Thrift generated code from repository.
- Pro: reduce noise in diffs during reviews.
- Con: requires developers to install Thrift compiler.
- Discussed moving the documentation from the wiki to version control.
- Probably not practical to maintain the trunk version of the docs on
the wiki and roll over to version control at release time, so
of docs will be maintained in vcs.
- It was agreed that feature patches should include updates to the
docs, but it is also acceptable to file a doc ticket if there is time
pressure to commit.j
- Will maintain an errata page on the wiki for collecting
updates/corrections from users. These notes will be rolled into the
documentation in vcs on a monthly basis.
- The next meeting will be held in September at Cloudera's office in Palo