Grokbase Groups Hive user August 2010

I had execute "ALTER TABLE tablename ADD COLUMNS (newcolumns STRING)" to add
column,
before i add this column, got 4 columns, the new column will after the 4th
column, and before partition column, and now the new data in hdfs was exist
in the 5th columns, but i execute "SELECT * FROM tablename", the newcolumns
is empty.

Means i cat the file in hdfs is exist data, but how come the newcolumns is
empty?

Regards,
Singo

Search Discussions

  • SingoWong at Aug 30, 2010 at 6:54 pm
    everyone can help me? the columns cannot match the data~~~
    I had execute "ALTER TABLE tablename ADD COLUMNS (newcolumns STRING)" to
    add column,
    before i add this column, got 4 columns, the new column will after the 4th
    column, and before partition column, and now the new data in hdfs was exist
    in the 5th columns, but i execute "SELECT * FROM tablename", the newcolumns
    is empty.

    Means i cat the file in hdfs is exist data, but how come the newcolumns is
    empty?

    Regards,
    Singo
  • SingoWong at Sep 1, 2010 at 5:03 am
    resolved, thx
    everyone can help me? the columns cannot match the data~~~

    I had execute "ALTER TABLE tablename ADD COLUMNS (newcolumns STRING)" to
    add column,
    before i add this column, got 4 columns, the new column will after the 4th
    column, and before partition column, and now the new data in hdfs was exist
    in the 5th columns, but i execute "SELECT * FROM tablename", the newcolumns
    is empty.

    Means i cat the file in hdfs is exist data, but how come the newcolumns is
    empty?

    Regards,
    Singo

groupuser @