Grokbase Groups Hive user July 2010
Hi all,

I have recently connected Hive with MySQL (as a metastore) from my
admin account.

http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hive/AdminManual/MetastoreAdmin

If all users use my hive-site.xml, all of them have access to all the
tables created by Hive. They can either delete or create tables with no
access control between the tables?

How do we establish this access control between users in an organization
accessing the Hive metastore?

a) Does it require having a MySQL/Oracle account one per user?

b) Does it require installing Thrift server?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Viraj

Search Discussions

  • Edward Capriolo at Jul 12, 2010 at 5:03 pm

    I have recently connected Hive with MySQL (as a metastore) from my admin
    account.

    http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hive/AdminManual/MetastoreAdmin

    If all users use my hive-site.xml, all of them have access to all the tables
    created by Hive. They can either delete or create tables with no access
    control between the tables?

    How do we establish this access control between users in an organization
    accessing the Hive metastore?

    a) Does it require having a MySQL/Oracle account one per user?

    b) Does it require installing Thrift server?

    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

    Viraj

    There are two hive tickets opened for Authorization and and
    Authentication with Hive. At one point I had them they moved on to
    someone else, but they have not been updated in a while.

    They can not be truly enforced until the upstream hadoop kerberos work
    is done, however it can be implemented. If we get hive-78,
    replication, and the Cassandra storage handler in by the 7.0 release I
    will be a very happy. So if you are interested in hive-78 you can
    probably take that issue over.

    I will not even start on it until I get the cassandra storage handler going.

    Edward

groupuser @
categorieshive, hadoop
postedJul 12, '10 at 4:47p
activeJul 12, '10 at 5:03p
websitehive.apache.org

2 users in discussion

Viraj Bhat: 1 post Edward Capriolo: 1 post