Grokbase Groups Hive user June 2010
Hi all,

I have taken the generic udtf method in the contrib. examples directory
and modified it and added it as a jar in my classpath.

hive> add jar /homes/viraj/hiveudfs.jar;

hive> create temporary function GenIndex as 'hiveudfs.GenIndex';

OK

Time taken: 1.664 seconds

hive> explain SELECT pageid, adid, index FROM samplelist LATERAL VIEW
GenIndex(adinfo) adTable AS adid, index;

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: hiveudfs.GenIndex

Continuing ...

java.lang.NullPointerException: target should not be null

Continuing ...

Failed with exception null

org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.ExplainTask

I looked at the stack trace in the hive.log

at
Impl.java:25)

at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.plan.UDTFDesc.getUDTFName(UDTFDesc.java:54)

... 26 more

So what should the name of this UDTF be?

Thanks Viraj

Search Discussions

  • Paul Yang at Jun 30, 2010 at 6:22 pm
    The NPE is probably related to 'java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: hiveudfs.GenIndex'. Can you include more of the log and any prior exceptions?

    I have taken the generic udtf method in the contrib. examples directory and modified it and added it as a jar in my classpath.
    hive> add jar /homes/viraj/hiveudfs.jar;

    hive> create temporary function GenIndex as 'hiveudfs.GenIndex';
    OK
    Time taken: 1.664 seconds

    hive> explain SELECT pageid, adid, index FROM samplelist LATERAL VIEW GenIndex(adinfo) adTable AS adid, index;
    java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: hiveudfs.GenIndex
    Continuing ...
    java.lang.NullPointerException: target should not be null
    Continuing ...
    Failed with exception null
    FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.ExplainTask

    I looked at the stack trace in the hive.log
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.plan.UDTFDesc.getUDTFName(UDTFDesc.java:54)
    ... 26 more

    So what should the name of this UDTF be?
    Thanks Viraj

groupuser @
categorieshive, hadoop
postedJun 30, '10 at 8:02a