Grokbase Groups Hive user June 2010

I have run into the following problem when I am trying to upgrade my
current existing Hive to be Hive trunk. Till now, I was using the hive
version that came in Cloudera's VM, but now I need to run some tests
using new SQL features that recently became available in Hive trunk.

What I have done so far is that, I downloaded Hive trunk from apache
SVN, and build it successfully, but the problem is when I run "./hive"
from this new installation I don't see any of those tables that I had
previously created in my earlier Hive.

Any pointers or suggestions on how to get all those old tables back, so
that I can see them using the new Hive? I did copy over the entire data
directory from /home/training/hive/data onto
/home/training/hivetrunk/hive/data. Also the metastore is the default
embedded database Derby.

Thanks for any help with this.

Farah Omer

Senior DB Engineer, MicroStrategy, Inc.

T: 703 2702230

E: fomer@microstrategy.com

http://www.microstrategy.com <http://www.microstrategy.com>

Search Discussions

  • Sarah Sproehnle at Jun 22, 2010 at 11:05 pm
    Hi Farah,

    The issue is that Hive doesn't know where to find Derby's data. In
    build/dist/conf/hive-site.xml there is a property like this:
    <property>
    <name>javax.jdo.option.ConnectionURL</name>
    <value>jdbc:derby:;databaseName=/var/lib/hive/metastore/${user.name}_db;create=true</value>
    <description>JDBC connect string for a JDBC metastore</description>
    </property>

    You will want to change the value to point to your old Derby
    directory. If you never configured a location for the Derby
    directory, I believe it was created in the current working directory
    where you invoked hive.

    --
    Sarah Sproehnle
    Educational Services

groupuser @
categorieshive, hadoop
postedJun 22, '10 at 8:16p
activeJun 22, '10 at 11:05p
websitehive.apache.org

2 users in discussion

Sarah Sproehnle: 1 post Omer, Farah: 1 post