Grokbase Groups Hive user June 2010
Hi All,

For an existing mysql database, I have a tool which dumps out the
create table statements for all tables, and checks them into SVN on a
daily basis, to keep the schema under version control. For various
reasons, this works better for my team than a change script model. We
have recently started using hive as a primary data store, and I would
like to apply a similar idea to the hive schema. Ideally, I would
like a command to directly dump the create table statements, but I can
also construct them out of several outputs if all the data is
available. In particular, I'm having a hard time finding the row
format and partition information.

I'm also interested in hearing what schema versioning techniques have
worked for anyone else.

Thanks in advance,

--Mark Tozzi

Search Discussions

  • Edward Capriolo at Jun 9, 2010 at 6:34 pm

    For an existing mysql database, I have a tool which dumps out the
    create table statements for all tables, and checks them into SVN on a
    daily basis, to keep the schema under version control. For various
    reasons, this works better for my team than a change script model. We
    have recently started using hive as a primary data store, and I would
    like to apply a similar idea to the hive schema. Ideally, I would
    like a command to directly dump the create table statements, but I can
    also construct them out of several outputs if all the data is
    available. In particular, I'm having a hard time finding the row
    format and partition information.

    I'm also interested in hearing what schema versioning techniques have
    worked for anyone else.

    Thanks in advance,

    --Mark Tozzi
    Hey Mark :)

    show create table is in the works:

    You can also take a look at some web interface code. Which shows how to walk
    the metastore programatically.

    <trunk>hwi/web/show_table.jsp
  • Edward Capriolo at Jun 9, 2010 at 6:40 pm
[...]

    And the most obvious solution... describe EXTENDED table has all the
    information. It is not the create syntax but it has all the relevant
    information.

groupuser @
categorieshive, hadoop
postedJun 9, '10 at 6:10p
activeJun 9, '10 at 6:40p
websitehive.apache.org

2 users in discussion

Edward Capriolo: 2 posts Mark Tozzi: 1 post