I've been using the hive jdbc driver more and more and was missing some
functionality which I added

HiveDatabaseMetaData.getTables
Using "show tables" to get the info from hive.

HiveDatabaseMetaData.getColumns
Using "describe tablename" to get the columns.

This makes using something like SQuirreL a lot nicer since you have the
list of tables and just click on the content tab to see what's in the table.

I also implemented
HiveResultSet.getObject(String columnName) so you call most get* methods
based on the column name.

Is it worth making a patch for this?

Search Discussions

  • 김영우 at Feb 3, 2010 at 9:19 am
    Hi Bennie,

    Sounds great! That should be very useful for users.
    It would be nice to have more jdbc functionality on hive jdbc.

    Thanks,
    Youngwoo

    I've been using the hive jdbc driver more and more and was missing some
    functionality which I added

    HiveDatabaseMetaData.getTables
    Using "show tables" to get the info from hive.

    HiveDatabaseMetaData.getColumns
    Using "describe tablename" to get the columns.

    This makes using something like SQuirreL a lot nicer since you have the
    list of tables and just click on the content tab to see what's in the table.

    I also implemented
    HiveResultSet.getObject(String columnName) so you call most get* methods
    based on the column name.

    Is it worth making a patch for this?
  • Bill Graham at Feb 3, 2010 at 5:54 pm
    This would certainly be useful. When creating the JIRA you can make it a
    child task to this one:

    Sounds great! That should be very useful for users.
    It would be nice to have more jdbc functionality on hive jdbc.

    Thanks,
    Youngwoo

    I've been using the hive jdbc driver more and more and was missing some
    functionality which I added

    HiveDatabaseMetaData.getTables
    Using "show tables" to get the info from hive.

    HiveDatabaseMetaData.getColumns
    Using "describe tablename" to get the columns.

    This makes using something like SQuirreL a lot nicer since you have the
    list of tables and just click on the content tab to see what's in the table.

    I also implemented
    HiveResultSet.getObject(String columnName) so you call most get* methods
    based on the column name.

    Is it worth making a patch for this?

groupuser @
categorieshive, hadoop