All:

I've been setting up Hive using Derby in Server Mode as per the instructions here: http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HiveDerbyServerMode

After I've got everything finished I attempt to start Hive and run a 'show tables;' query.

I get the following output:

hive> show tables;
FAILED: Error in metadata: javax.jdo.JDODataStoreException: Exception thrown performing schema operation : Add classes to Catalog "", Schema "APP"
NestedThrowables:
java.sql.SQLNonTransientConnectionException: A network protocol error was encountered and the connection has been terminated: the requested command encountered an unarchitected and implementation-specific condition for which there was no architected message
FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask

It appears that something is missing from my classpath?

I've set the follow environment variables:
HADOOP_HOME
HIVE_HOME
DERBY_HOME
DERBY_INSTALL

Is there something else I need set and/or do?

Nathan

Search Discussions

  • Zheng Shao at Dec 24, 2009 at 9:12 am
    Can you open /tmp/<user>/hive.log? It should have the full stack trace.

    Zheng

    On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 12:17 PM, Nathan Rasch

    --
    Yours,
    Zheng

    My apologies for the length of time to reply. We were out the last week or so for the holidays.

    Below is the contents of the /tmp/nrasch/hive.log file. It appears I need to obtain org.eclipse.jdt.core and place it in the $HIVE_HOME/lib dir?

    Nathan

    2010-01-04 11:30:36,408 ERROR DataNucleus.Plugin (Log4JLogger.java:error(115)) - Bundle "org.eclipse.jdt.core" requires "org.eclipse.core.resources" but it cannot be resolved.
    2010-01-04 11:30:36,408 ERROR DataNucleus.Plugin (Log4JLogger.java:error(115)) - Bundle "org.eclipse.jdt.core" requires "org.eclipse.core.resources" but it cannot be resolved.
    2010-01-04 11:30:36,415 ERROR DataNucleus.Plugin (Log4JLogger.java:error(115)) - Bundle "org.eclipse.jdt.core" requires "org.eclipse.core.runtime" but it cannot be resolved.
    2010-01-04 11:30:36,415 ERROR DataNucleus.Plugin (Log4JLogger.java:error(115)) - Bundle "org.eclipse.jdt.core" requires "org.eclipse.core.runtime" but it cannot be resolved.
    2010-01-04 11:30:36,416 ERROR DataNucleus.Plugin (Log4JLogger.java:error(115)) - Bundle "org.eclipse.jdt.core" requires "org.eclipse.text" but it cannot be resolved.
    2010-01-04 11:30:36,416 ERROR DataNucleus.Plugin (Log4JLogger.java:error(115)) - Bundle "org.eclipse.jdt.core" requires "org.eclipse.text" but it cannot be resolved.
    2010-01-04 11:30:40,166 ERROR exec.DDLTask (SessionState.java:printError(248)) - FAILED: Error in metadata: javax.jdo.JDODataStoreException: Exception thrown performing schema operation : Add classes to Catalog "", Schema "APP"
    NestedThrowables:
    java.sql.SQLNonTransientConnectionException: A network protocol error was encountered and the connection has been terminated: the requested command encountered an unarchitected and implementation-specific condition for which there was no architected message
    org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.HiveException: javax.jdo.JDODataStoreException: Exception thrown performing schema operation : Add classes to Catalog "", Schema "APP"
    NestedThrowables:
    java.sql.SQLNonTransientConnectionException: A network protocol error was encountered and the connection has been terminated: the requested command encountered an unarchitected and implementation-specific condition for which there was no architected message
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Hive.getTablesForDb(Hive.java:441)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Hive.getTablesByPattern(Hive.java:423)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Hive.getAllTables(Hive.java:410)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask.showTables(DDLTask.java:399)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask.execute(DDLTask.java:161)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.Task.executeTask(Task.java:99)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.TaskRunner.runSequential(TaskRunner.java:64)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.launchTask(Driver.java:577)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.execute(Driver.java:457)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.runCommand(Driver.java:319)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.run(Driver.java:307)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.processCmd(CliDriver.java:123)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.processLine(CliDriver.java:181)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.main(CliDriver.java:287)
    Caused by: javax.jdo.JDODataStoreException: Exception thrown performing schema operation : Add classes to Catalog "", Schema "APP"
    NestedThrowables:
    java.sql.SQLNonTransientConnectionException: A network protocol error was encountered and the connection has been terminated: the requested command encountered an unarchitected and implementation-specific condition for which there was no architected message
    at org.datanucleus.jdo.NucleusJDOHelper.getJDOExceptionForNucleusException(NucleusJDOHelper.java:289)
    at org.datanucleus.ObjectManagerImpl.getExtent(ObjectManagerImpl.java:3741)
    at org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.query.JDOQLQueryCompiler.compileCandidates(JDOQLQueryCompiler.java:411)
    at org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.query.QueryCompiler.executionCompile(QueryCompiler.java:312)
    at org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.query.JDOQLQueryCompiler.compile(JDOQLQueryCompiler.java:225)
    at org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.query.JDOQLQuery.compileInternal(JDOQLQuery.java:174)
    at org.datanucleus.store.query.Query.executeQuery(Query.java:1443)
    at org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.query.JDOQLQuery.executeQuery(JDOQLQuery.java:244)
    at org.datanucleus.store.query.Query.executeWithArray(Query.java:1357)
    at org.datanucleus.jdo.JDOQuery.execute(JDOQuery.java:242)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.ObjectStore.getMDatabase(ObjectStore.java:283)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.ObjectStore.getDatabase(ObjectStore.java:301)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore$HMSHandler.createDefaultDB(HiveMetaStore.java:147)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore$HMSHandler.init(HiveMetaStore.java:119)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore$HMSHandler.(HiveMetaStoreClient.java:74)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Hive.createMetaStoreClient(Hive.java:828)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Hive.getMSC(Hive.java:838)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Hive.getTablesForDb(Hive.java:439)
    ... 18 more
    Caused by: java.sql.SQLNonTransientConnectionException: A network protocol error was encountered and the connection has been terminated: the requested command encountered an unarchitected and implementation-specific condition for which there was no architected message
    at org.apache.derby.client.am.SQLExceptionFactory40.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.derby.client.am.Connection.getAutoCommit(Unknown Source)
    at org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.AbstractSchemaTransaction.execute(AbstractSchemaTransaction.java:122)
    at org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.RDBMSManager.addClasses(RDBMSManager.java:994)
    at org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.RDBMSManager.addClasses(RDBMSManager.java:960)
    at org.datanucleus.store.AbstractStoreManager.addClass(AbstractStoreManager.java:691)
    at org.datanucleus.store.mapped.MappedStoreManager.getDatastoreClass(MappedStoreManager.java:358)
    at org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.RDBMSManager.getExtent(RDBMSManager.java:1344)
    at org.datanucleus.ObjectManagerImpl.getExtent(ObjectManagerImpl.java:3736)
    ... 35 more
    Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: A network protocol error was encountered and the connection has been terminated: the requested command encountered an unarchitected and implementation-specific condition for which there was no architected message
    at org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException.copyAsUnchainedSQLException(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.derby.client.am.Sqlca.chainDeferredExceptionsToAgentOrAsConnectionWarnings(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.derby.client.am.Sqlca.getJDBCMessage(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException.getMessage(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.derby.client.am.DatabaseMetaData.getIndexInfo(Unknown Source)
    at org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.schema.RDBMSSchemaHandler.getRDBMSTableIndexInfoForTable(RDBMSSchemaHandler.java:616)
    at org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.schema.RDBMSSchemaHandler.getRDBMSTableIndexInfoForTable(RDBMSSchemaHandler.java:585)
    at org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.schema.RDBMSSchemaHandler.getSchemaData(RDBMSSchemaHandler.java:202)
    at org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.table.TableImpl.getExistingCandidateKeys(TableImpl.java:1093)
    at org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.table.TableImpl.validateCandidateKeys(TableImpl.java:696)
    at org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.table.TableImpl.validateConstraints(TableImpl.java:398)
    at org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.table.ClassTable.validateConstraints(ClassTable.java:3214)
    at org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.RDBMSManager$ClassAdder.performTablesValidation(RDBMSManager.java:2865)
    at org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.RDBMSManager$ClassAdder.addClassTablesAndValidate(RDBMSManager.java:2595)
    at org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.RDBMSManager$ClassAdder.run(RDBMSManager.java:2241)
    at org.datanucleus.store.rdbms.AbstractSchemaTransaction.execute(AbstractSchemaTransaction.java:113)
    ... 41 more

    2010-01-04 11:30:40,169 ERROR ql.Driver (SessionState.java:printError(248)) - FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask

[...]

  • Zheng Shao at Jan 5, 2010 at 5:01 am
    Hi Nathan,

    The org.eclipse.jdt.core related errors can be safely ignored.

    I am ccing Prasad and Paul, our metastore experts, who will be able to
    give you a detailed explanation.

    In the meanwhile, you might want to try using mysql as metastore.
    MySql is used for metastore backend in most of the production Hive
    deployment.

    Zheng

    On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 10:43 AM, Nathan Rasch
[...]

    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore$HMSHandler.<init>(HiveMetaStore.java:101)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStoreClient.<init>(HiveMetaStoreClient.java:74)
[...]

  • Nathan Rasch at Jan 5, 2010 at 3:58 pm
    Zheng,

    Thank you for the information and looking this over. Since this is a new Hive deployment we have some 'wiggle' room. I'll start playing with MySQL and see how that fairs.

[...]

groupuser @
categorieshive, hadoop
postedDec 23, '09 at 8:18p
activeJan 5, '10 at 3:58p
websitehive.apache.org

2 users in discussion

Nathan Rasch: 3 posts Zheng Shao: 2 posts