I encountered this behavior twice today, but before filing a JIRA I thought
I'd seek confirmation this is indeed a bug and not a potential configuration
issue.
While running queries of the form

INSERT OVERWRITE TABLE 'hdfs://server:port/foo/bar/out" SELECT...

where the "foo" and "bar" directories don't exist on HDFS, the job runs
without error but the "/foo/bar/" path is not created (and hence the output
is not written to HDFS). After manually creating the path, the output is
indeed written correctly.

Regarding our configuration, we're running the Cloudera 0.18.3 installation.

cheers,
-James Warren

Search Discussions

  • Prasad Chakka at Sep 9, 2009 at 5:04 pm
    The latest version does create all the parents if they do not exist. Can you try with the latest version (or 0.4)?

    Prasad

    ________________________________
    I encountered this behavior twice today, but before filing a JIRA I thought I'd seek confirmation this is indeed a bug and not a potential configuration issue.

    While running queries of the form

    INSERT OVERWRITE TABLE 'hdfs://server:port/foo/bar/out" SELECT...

    where the "foo" and "bar" directories don't exist on HDFS, the job runs without error but the "/foo/bar/" path is not created (and hence the output is not written to HDFS). After manually creating the path, the output is indeed written correctly.

    Regarding our configuration, we're running the Cloudera 0.18.3 installation.

    cheers,
    -James Warren

groupuser @
categorieshive, hadoop
postedSep 9, '09 at 5:45a
activeSep 9, '09 at 5:04p
websitehive.apache.org

2 users in discussion

James warren: 1 post Prasad Chakka: 1 post