Grokbase Groups Hive user August 2009
We discovered a problem where loading into a new partition in hive w/o
specifying Œoverwrite¹ doesn¹t work.

If the specified partition does not exist yet, running the following
statement would not move the data files, but only create the directory on
HDFS.
hive -e "load data inpath
'/user/output/nccp/P20090731T233339/sessionsFacts_L20090718T03-r-00000' into
table nccp_session_facts partition (dateint = 20090718, hour = 4)

If we run the same statement one more time, it will move the file.

However, if we run the same statement with Œoverwrite¹, it will create the
directory and move the file just fine.

We don¹t think it is expected behavior. Hence, would like to know if this is
a bug.

Hive version: r795559 with 487.4 patch.
Hadoop: 0.20

Thanks a lot!
Eva.

Search Discussions

  • Zheng Shao at Aug 3, 2009 at 7:08 pm
    I reproduced the bug and opened HIVE-718.

    Zheng

    We discovered a problem where loading into a new partition in hive w/o
    specifying ‘overwrite’ doesn’t work.

    If the specified partition does not exist yet, running the following
    statement would not move the data files, but only create the directory on
    HDFS.
    hive -e "load data inpath
    '/user/output/nccp/P20090731T233339/sessionsFacts_L20090718T03-r-00000' into
    table nccp_session_facts partition (dateint = 20090718, hour = 4)

    If we run the same statement one more time, it will move the file.

    However, if we run the same statement with ‘overwrite’, it will create the
    directory and move the file just fine.

    We don’t think it is expected behavior. Hence, would like to know if this is

    --
    Yours,
    Zheng

groupuser @