HBase 0.92+ onwards has had support for Apache Hadoop 2.x+ along with
Apache Hadoop 1.x.

The note on the web manual says that:

"As of Apache HBase 0.96.x, Apache Hadoop 1.0.x at least is required.
We will no longer run properly on older Hadoops such as 0.20.205 or
branch-0.20-append. Do not move to Apache HBase 0.96.x if you cannot
upgrade your Hadoop[10].

Apache HBase 0.96.0 runs on Apache Hadoop 2.0."

Which means, starting with 0.96, only 2.x Hadoop will be supported and
support for 1.x or older Hadoop versions will be dropped (or will not
be "properly supported").

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 11:55 PM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari

Is HBase 0.94.x running with Hadoop 2.0.x?

I saw that 0.96.0 will be, but I was wondering for 0.94.x...

Thanks,

JM

--
Harsh J

Search Discussions

  • Jean-Marc Spaggiari at Nov 22, 2012 at 6:58 pm
    Thanks for the clarification.

    Should I take a specific 0.94.x distribution to work with Hadoop 2.x+
    ? Because there is only one version on
    http://apache.parentingamerica.com/hbase/hbase-0.94.2/ ...

    Or can I just keep my existing HBase confirmation and "simply" upgrade
    my hadoop to 2.x?

    JM

[...]

  • Harsh J at Nov 22, 2012 at 7:31 pm
    You'd have to recompile against a proper target and produce your own
    tarball. I guess binary artifacts would begin shipping with 0.96
    onwards.

    From the root of a 0.94.x release tarball, try Elliot's command from
    http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.hadoop.hbase.user/30163:

    $ mvn clean package assembly:assembly -DskipTests -Dhadoop.profile=2.0

    On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 12:28 AM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari
[...]

  • Marcos Ortiz at Nov 22, 2012 at 7:01 pm

    HBase 0.92+ onwards has had support for Apache Hadoop 2.x+ along with
    Apache Hadoop 1.x.

    The note on the web manual says that:

    "As of Apache HBase 0.96.x, Apache Hadoop 1.0.x at least is required.
    We will no longer run properly on older Hadoops such as 0.20.205 or
    branch-0.20-append. Do not move to Apache HBase 0.96.x if you cannot
    upgrade your Hadoop[10].

    Apache HBase 0.96.0 runs on Apache Hadoop 2.0."

    Which means, starting with 0.96, only 2.x Hadoop will be supported and
    support for 1.x or older Hadoop versions will be dropped (or will not
    be "properly supported").
    So, it's means that, it's good to think to upgrade first all your
    applications from
    Hadoop 1.x to Hadoop 2.x if you want to keep updated with HBase?

    Where I can find the Development roadmap for HBase 0.96?
    Thanks
    On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 11:55 PM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari

    Is HBase 0.94.x running with Hadoop 2.0.x?

    I saw that 0.96.0 will be, but I was wondering for 0.94.x...

    Thanks,

    JM
    --

    Marcos Luis Ortíz Valmaseda

    http://www.uci.cu
    http://www.facebook.com/universidad.uci
  • Harsh J at Nov 22, 2012 at 7:35 pm
    Marcos makes a good point btw - Move from 1.x to 2.x also involves
    recompiling your existing MR apps (if they are already built with
    maven, thats not too much work to do). But other than a few obvious
    issues caught by the java compiler, the APIs remain the same.

    Marcos - response inline: