Grokbase Groups HBase user July 2012
Which protocol is better supported?

Protocol Buffer, Thrift, Avro?

I'm particularly interested in knowing which protocol(s) support the
checkAndPut api.

Thanks.

Search Discussions

  • John Hancock at Jul 29, 2012 at 11:56 am
    Trung Pam,

    I hope I am not going to start a flame war here but my take-away from what
    I have read so far about HBASE is that the best protocol to use for
    connecting to HBASE over the network is the Java client libraries by
    themselves. I have been working on a Servlet that uses an HTable object
    etc. to reach the HBASE server. This is an easy way to go since the entire
    api is available. If your models and controllers are not written in Java,
    then my point is moot.

    -John
    I'm particularly interested in knowing which protocol(s) support the
    checkAndPut api.

    Thanks.
  • Trung Pham at Jul 29, 2012 at 4:36 pm
    My application code is not written in Java...
    I hope I am not going to start a flame war here but my take-away from what
    I have read so far about HBASE is that the best protocol to use for
    connecting to HBASE over the network is the Java client libraries by
    themselves. I have been working on a Servlet that uses an HTable object
    etc. to reach the HBASE server. This is an easy way to go since the entire
    api is available. If your models and controllers are not written in Java,
    then my point is moot.

    -John
    I'm particularly interested in knowing which protocol(s) support the
    checkAndPut api.

    Thanks.
  • Syed kather at Jul 29, 2012 at 5:33 pm
    Hi trung ,
    If you are using different language then go for ThriftAPI.. if you had seen
    prevoius mail . They had suggested ThriftAPI . I had worked with Thrift
    its nice . I tried to push my data from .net . It helps me .

    Syed Abdul kather
    send from Samsung S3
    My application code is not written in Java...
    I hope I am not going to start a flame war here but my take-away from what
    I have read so far about HBASE is that the best protocol to use for
    connecting to HBASE over the network is the Java client libraries by
    themselves. I have been working on a Servlet that uses an HTable object
    etc. to reach the HBASE server. This is an easy way to go since the entire
    api is available. If your models and controllers are not written in Java,
    then my point is moot.

    -John
    I'm particularly interested in knowing which protocol(s) support the
    checkAndPut api.

    Thanks.
  • Trung Pham at Jul 29, 2012 at 6:25 pm
    Also. What's the difference between thrift and thrift2 server? I thought
    the thrift protocol spec is stil at version 0.8.