What is the cause of this exception? Is there a timeout value that can
be modified to avoid this error? Does this error mean any problem with my
setup, or is it normal to get these errors? In that case, how can I drop
this table without messing up the cluster? My table has ~40 columns and 2
million rows.

Exception in thread "main" org.apache.hadoop.hbase.RegionException: Retries
exhausted, it took too long to wait for the table CustomerData to be
disabled.
at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HBaseAdmin.disableTable(HBaseAdmin.java:413)
at CreateWebeventTable.main(Unknown Source)
at
at

Hari

Search Discussions

  • Hari Sreekumar at Nov 24, 2010 at 6:27 am
    Update: I see that it usually works when I wait and retry 2-3 times 5 mins.

    On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Hari Sreekumar

    What is the cause of this exception? Is there a timeout value that can
    be modified to avoid this error? Does this error mean any problem with my
    setup, or is it normal to get these errors? In that case, how can I drop
    this table without messing up the cluster? My table has ~40 columns and 2
    million rows.

    Exception in thread "main" org.apache.hadoop.hbase.RegionException: Retries
    exhausted, it took too long to wait for the table CustomerData to be
    disabled.
    at
    org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HBaseAdmin.disableTable(HBaseAdmin.java:413)
    at CreateWebeventTable.main(Unknown Source)
    at
    at

    Hari
  • Lars George at Nov 24, 2010 at 10:39 am
    Hi Hari,

    Disabling a table simply takes time as all RSs need to report back
    that the regions are flushed and closed. You may time out on that.
    This is where the async, "fire and forget" version of that call comes
    in. But if you need to wait you need to use the async and then poll
    the status of the table until it is reported as being disabled.

    Lars

    On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 7:27 AM, Hari Sreekumar
[...]

  • Hari Sreekumar at Nov 24, 2010 at 11:01 am
    Hi Lars,

    Is the async version available in hbase-0.20.6 ASF version? It is
    still in development right?

[...]

  • Lars George at Nov 24, 2010 at 11:45 am
    Oh, right, I keep forgetting who is on which version. This was added
    in HBASE-3112. So in that case, this is bound by

    this.numRetries = conf.getInt("hbase.client.retries.number", 5);

    You can up this number in your local config or in your code before
    creating the HBaseAdmin connection. Set "hbase.client.retries.number"
    to something higher until it works.

    Lars

    On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 12:01 PM, Hari Sreekumar
[...]

  • Hari Sreekumar at Nov 24, 2010 at 3:44 pm
    Hi Lars,

    Great! Thanks!! Is there any downside to increasing this value to
    too high?

    hari
[...]

    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
    Method)
    at
    at

    Hari
  • Stack at Nov 24, 2010 at 4:12 pm
    If you up the config., the retry will be more tenacious. To be safer,
    you could make it so you have a client config. and one used by the
    servers. See conf/hbase-env.sh for HBASE_CONF_DIR for pointing at
    alternate conf directories.

    This disable/enable malarky will run better in 0.90.x

    St.Ack

    On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 7:44 AM, Hari Sreekumar

    On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Lars George <lars.george@gmail.com>
[...]

groupuser @
categorieshbase, hadoop
postedNov 24, '10 at 4:38a