Grokbase Groups HBase user July 2010
Hi all:

We applied hadoop/hbase for NLP analysis and intermediate data storage, and
encountered a string of problems when the data scale is up.

Attached is a region server log that shows how it crashed after running a
mapreduce task with intensive read/writes.

The FATAL error seems to occur at the following line:

"2010-07-13 18:02:56,723 FATAL
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.MemcacheFlusher: Replay of hlog
required. Forcing server shutdown"

But before this, there are many warning or errors on reading/creating new
blocks.

We have been struggling on this for a while, but could not identify how to
fix the problem. Wonder if anybody can help us take a look at the log and
check out the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Best,
Arber

Search Discussions

  • Stack at Jul 13, 2010 at 1:26 pm
    We need more context to help (software versions, numbers of servers
    and type, etc.).

    For sure you've read and have implemented all in the requirements
    section here: http://hbase.apache.org/docs/r0.20.5/api/overview-summary.html#overview_description?
    In particular the ulimit and xceiver stuff?

    Are you swapping?

    Thanks,
    St.Ack
    We applied hadoop/hbase for NLP analysis and intermediate data storage, and
    encountered a string of problems when the data scale is up.

    Attached is a region server log that shows how it crashed after running a
    mapreduce task with intensive read/writes.

    The FATAL error seems to occur at the following line:

    "2010-07-13 18:02:56,723 FATAL
    org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.MemcacheFlusher: Replay of hlog
    required. Forcing server shutdown"

    But before this, there are many warning or errors on reading/creating new
    blocks.

    We have been struggling on this for a while, but could not identify how to
    fix the problem. Wonder if anybody can help us take a look at the log and
    check out the problem?
    Thanks in advance.

    Best,
    Arber

  • Stack at Jul 13, 2010 at 1:31 pm
    Oh, sounds like you are running 0.19.x still? If so, as per J-D, you
    need to upgrade before we can effectively help (IIRC, the dinosaurs
    roamed the earth when 0.19.x hbase was current).
    St.Ack
[...]

groupuser @
categorieshbase, hadoop
postedJul 13, '10 at 12:45p