Grokbase Groups HBase user March 2010
We have a DNS installation that has a HA-Logic, that may fail for say 10
seconds.

In such a case we experience the following:

* DNS goes down
* The Master gets this: "Received report from unknown server -- telling
it to MSG_CALL_SERVER_STARTUP" (Probably the IP is "unknown")
* The Regionservers do as directed, zookeeper logs state that /hbase/rs/
nodes are updated
* DNS goes up

Now there is no or a wrong master selection and no region can be served
anymore. Also, no other MSG_CALL_SERVER_STARTUP appear, which could
reanimate the cluster...

We use host names in the regionservers file.

What could we change to be more robust against such a problem?

Thx,

Al

Search Discussions

  • Jean-Daniel Cryans at Mar 29, 2010 at 4:38 pm
    This was fixed in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-2174,
    will be available in 0.20.4 (or you can patch it on your 0.20.3,
    should apply easily).

    J-D
    We have a DNS installation that has a HA-Logic, that may fail for say 10
    seconds.

    In such a case we experience the following:

    * DNS goes down
    * The Master gets this: "Received report from unknown server -- telling
    it to MSG_CALL_SERVER_STARTUP" (Probably the IP is "unknown")
    * The Regionservers do as directed, zookeeper logs state that /hbase/rs/
    nodes are updated
    * DNS goes up

    Now there is no or a wrong master selection and no region can be served
    anymore. Also, no other MSG_CALL_SERVER_STARTUP appear, which could
    reanimate the cluster...

    We use host names in the regionservers file.

    What could we change to be more robust against such a problem?

    Thx,

    Al

groupuser @
categorieshbase, hadoop
postedMar 29, '10 at 10:58a
activeMar 29, '10 at 4:38p
websitehbase.apache.org

2 users in discussion

Al Lias: 1 post Jean-Daniel Cryans: 1 post