Hi, all

Let there is an Hbase cluster of one master and several region server hosts.

If we restart (shutdown -r now) only the Hbase master host,
while the region servers are running , we have to restart the region servers
when the Hbase master is up, otherwise the Hbase won't be available.

If we restart one or few region server hosts (but not all of them), the
Hbase
still will be available (up to performance problems).

Is it correct?

Thank you for your cooperation,
M.

Search Discussions

  • Stack at Jan 22, 2009 at 5:40 pm

    michael.dagaev@gmail.com wrote:
    Hi, all

    Let there is an Hbase cluster of one master and several region server
    hosts.

    If we restart (shutdown -r now) only the Hbase master host,
    while the region servers are running , we have to restart the region
    servers
    when the Hbase master is up, otherwise the Hbase won't be available.
    Try it.

    IIRC, regionservers will shut themselves down because they can't talk to
    the master.

    Better would be just closing their regions and staying up meantime
    retrying for a master.

    Or, when Zookeeper is in the mix, just keep serving till someone else
    assumes master role.

    You should probably put your regionservers under a babysitting process
    so they get restarted if they fail.

    On fresh start, a regionserver will just hang out till a master appears
    for it to join to.
    If we restart one or few region server hosts (but not all of them),
    the Hbase
    still will be available (up to performance problems). Yes.
    Thank you for your cooperation,
    No need to thank us Michael (smile).

    St.Ack

groupuser @