Some more compression algorithms are supported in Hadoop.

IMO, if not all, we can add support for few faster algorithms (Like LZ4) in
HBase also to take the advantage of its speed.

-
Thanks in Advance,
Laxman

Search Discussions

  • Michael Stack at Feb 27, 2012 at 6:03 pm

    Some more compression algorithms are supported in Hadoop.

    IMO, if not all, we can add support for few faster algorithms (Like LZ4) in
    HBase also to take the advantage of its speed.
    What would you suggest Laxman? Have you tried hbase against hadoop
    0.23.1 using LZ4? Or are you thinking of pulling it into hbase?
    St.Ack
  • Laxman at Feb 28, 2012 at 4:40 pm
    Hi Stack,

    I haven't tried LZ4 in Hadoop. Currently, I'm directly testing LZ4 with
    HBase.
    Will publish my findings soon.

    Laxman
    Some more compression algorithms are supported in Hadoop.

    IMO, if not all, we can add support for few faster algorithms (Like LZ4) in
    HBase also to take the advantage of its speed.
    What would you suggest Laxman? Have you tried hbase against hadoop
    0.23.1 using LZ4? Or are you thinking of pulling it into hbase?
    St.Ack
  • Vladimir Rodionov at Feb 28, 2012 at 6:22 pm
    LZ4 is slightly faster than snappy (from my own tests) but I really doubt that anyone will see performance difference in HBase
    (or in Hadoop)

    Best regards,
    Vladimir Rodionov
    Principal Platform Engineer
    Carrier IQ, www.carrieriq.com

    Some more compression algorithms are supported in Hadoop.

    IMO, if not all, we can add support for few faster algorithms (Like LZ4) in
    HBase also to take the advantage of its speed.
    What would you suggest Laxman? Have you tried hbase against hadoop
    0.23.1 using LZ4? Or are you thinking of pulling it into hbase?
    St.Ack

    Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this message, including any attachments hereto, may be confidential and is intended to be read only by the individual or entity to whom this message is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent or designee of the intended recipient, please note that any review, use, disclosure or distribution of this message or its attachments, in any form, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and/or Notifications@carrieriq.com and delete or destroy any copy of this message and its attachments.
  • Otis Gospodnetic at May 17, 2012 at 3:17 am
    Hi,
    (almost 3 months old thread)

    LZ4 perf test numbers in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-7657?focusedCommentId=13170733&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13170733 looks pretty impressive.  Why do you think HBase users would not see perf difference in HBase?  We saw it when we moved from LZO to Snappy.

    Laxman, did you end up testing LZ4 with HBase?  Would it be possible for you to share the results?

    Thanks,
    Otis
    ----
    Performance Monitoring for Solr / ElasticSearch / HBase - http://sematext.com/spm

    ________________________________

[...]

  • Andrew Purtell at May 17, 2012 at 5:51 am
    It's on the to do list: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-5838
[...]

  • Otis Gospodnetic at May 17, 2012 at 6:02 am
    Yeah, saw that...
    Was just wondering why Vladimir thinks HBase users won't see any perf. improvements and whether Laxman has the numbers from benchmarking he referred to.

    Otis
    ----
[...]

groupdev @
categorieshbase, hadoop