Hello All,

I am looking at the replication functionality in HBase from the
perspective of failover/failback mechanisms, i.e., fail over to a
slave cluster in case the master (or primary) cluster fails, and then
reverting back to the original master when it is up.

By looking at the code, and replication page [1], I think the current
replication functionality supports replicating a healthy cluster to a
backup cluster (irrespective of any cluster size). This is not a exact
failover/failback process, but a backup and recovery tool.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

[1] http://hbase.apache.org/replication.html

Thanks,
Himanshu

Search Discussions

  • Jean-Daniel Cryans at Feb 24, 2012 at 9:30 pm
    I would say that the primary function is being a "live backup" but
    basically everything you do with MySQL slaves you can do with HBase
    slave clusters:

    - Read-only store for colder data
    - Mining (MR or else)
    - Backup (and eventually we could add a delayed backup feature too)
    - Do Master-Master in between different sites

    You could also use it as a failover, but you must plan how you want to
    do the reconciliation.

    J-D

    On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 1:08 PM, Himanshu Vashishtha
    I am looking at the replication functionality in HBase from the
    perspective of failover/failback mechanisms, i.e., fail over to a
    slave cluster in case the master (or primary) cluster fails, and then
    reverting back to the original master when it is up.

    By looking at the code, and replication page [1], I think the current
    replication functionality supports replicating a healthy cluster to a
    backup cluster (irrespective of any cluster size). This is not a exact
    failover/failback process, but a backup and recovery tool.
    Please correct me if I am wrong.

    [1] http://hbase.apache.org/replication.html

    Thanks,
    Himanshu