Grokbase Groups HBase dev July 2011
The snappy integration in Hbase is based on Hadoop-Snappy (
http://code.google.com/p/hadoop-snappy/).

Hadoop trunk has now a Snappy codec (based on Hadoop-Snappy).

Until we have a release of Hadoop including the Snappy codec, to enable
Hbase to use Snappy, Hbase should continue using Hadoop-Snappy.

To ensure that things work smoothly and the switch over does not create any
issues, Hadoop-Snappy should be kept in sync with the Snappy codec in Hadoop
trunk.

With the help of Issay, we've synch Hadoop-Snappy with Hadoop trunk.

I'll take the job to kept them in sync in sync until we have a Hadoop
release with the Snappy codec.

Thanks.

Alejandro

Search Discussions

  • Stack at Jul 9, 2011 at 4:48 am
    Thanks for doing this Alejandro (I added a footnote to the snappy
    section in the hbase book that links to this message in case folks
    start wondering about the diff).
    St.Ack
    The snappy integration in Hbase is based on Hadoop-Snappy (
    http://code.google.com/p/hadoop-snappy/).

    Hadoop trunk has now a Snappy codec (based on Hadoop-Snappy).

    Until we have a release of Hadoop including the Snappy codec, to enable
    Hbase to use Snappy, Hbase should continue using Hadoop-Snappy.

    To ensure that things work smoothly and the switch over does not create any
    issues, Hadoop-Snappy should be kept in sync with the Snappy codec in Hadoop
    trunk.

    With the help of Issay, we've synch Hadoop-Snappy with Hadoop trunk.

    I'll take the job to kept them in sync in sync until we have a Hadoop
    release with the Snappy codec.

    Thanks.

    Alejandro

groupdev @
categorieshbase, hadoop
postedJul 9, '11 at 12:17a
activeJul 9, '11 at 4:48a
websitehbase.apache.org

2 users in discussion

Alejandro Abdelnur: 1 post Stack: 1 post