Grokbase Groups HBase dev July 2011
For HBase TRUNK, in order to make troubleshooting failed unit tests easier,
I think we should log more information about the selection of region server
carrying .META.
e.g. TestScannerTimeout.test3686a() :
HRegionServer rs = TEST_UTIL.getRSForFirstRegionInTable(TABLE_NAME);
int metaIdx = TEST_UTIL.getHBaseCluster().getServerWithMeta();
HRegionServer metaSvr =
TEST_UTIL.getHBaseCluster().getRegionServer(metaIdx);
if (rs == metaSvr) {
LOG.info("picked region server hosting .META.");
}

To get deterministic test results, the selection of region server should
really distinguish between non .META. server and .META. server if the test
involves aborting region server:
// Kill after one call to next(), which got 5 rows.
rs.abort("die!");
Meaning, there should be two test cases for test3686a() - one that aborts
.META. server and one that aborts non .META. server

If you have suggestion on this subject, comment is welcome.

groupdev @
categorieshbase, hadoop
postedJul 1, '11 at 8:07p
activeJul 1, '11 at 8:07p