Grokbase Groups HBase dev June 2011
Hi folks,

As part of my presentation for Hadoop Summit, I'd like to include a slide
highlighting new features or major improvements in 0.92. I've admittedly
had my head in coprocessor/security land for a while, so I'm not sure I'm up
to date on everything that's been happening, and I'd like to get everyone's
input on what to show.

Here's what I have at the moment:

* Distributed WAL splitting
* Support for more Hadoop versions: 0.20+append, 0.20+security, 0.21, 0.22
* Region Server graceful decommission
* Region balancing improvements
* Compaction optimizations: per-column family compaction, multi-threading
* Coprocessors
* many doc improvements and bug fixes

Am I missing any important stuff? Please let me know what you think should
be added, or if any of the above is off or could be better described. The
only caveat is that I need to keep this pretty short, as I have a lot to
cover in coprocessors and security and only 30 minutes to do it all!

Thanks for the help!

--gh

Search Discussions

  • Ted Yu at Jun 5, 2011 at 2:38 pm
    Here're 2 important JIRAs for 0.92:
    3777 Redefine Identity Of HBase Configuration: fewer connections to
    zookeeper are established <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-3777>
    1502 Remove need for heartbeats in HBase:
    <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-1502>footprint of region
    bookkeeping on Master is much smaller
[...]

  • Stack at Jun 5, 2011 at 5:24 pm
    Its tough when you only have a short amount of time. The other aspect
    is that issues that may have taken a bunch of work and touched loads
    of code may not be of interest when giving a high-level overview. I'd
    put things like 1502 and 2777 into this category as well as a few in
    your list below Gary (Other big changes that a general audience
    probably doesn't care about but that we think great are removal of
    HTableDescriptor from HRI, move to jamon for UI, and a bunch of others
    that I see as I go through CHANGES.txt).

    See in below: