Cell: 9874400096
"A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at?" - Ronald Reagan

Search Discussions

  • Doug Meil at Jun 1, 2011 at 6:14 pm
    HBase has a "bytes-in/bytes-out" interface (see Put and Result). As long as you can convert the object to bytes and make sense of it later, you can put it in HBase -within reason, because there are practical size limitations.

    -----Original Message-----
    From: rajat.deb@bt.com
    Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 1:41 PM
    To: hbase-dev@hadoop.apache.org
    Subject: HBase Push Video or Image File

    Hi there,

    Just started off with HBase. So this could be a stupid question . But here it goes ...

    Can we insert any video file (e.g. .avi) or image file (e.g. .png) directly into HBase with any kind of query or through a Java code?

    Regards,
    Rajat.
    Cell: 9874400096
    "A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at?" - Ronald Reagan
  • Sgtpepper at Jun 6, 2011 at 7:56 pm
    Hey Doug,
    Thanks a lot for the reply. But is there any sample/example code available
    that does the same?
    I found this code in code.google.com, but it looks more like it is putting
    the avi file in HDFS instead of HBase.

    http://code.google.com/p/hbase-jdo/
    But I cant seem to be able to understand the code properly. Is there any API
    documentation available for the hbase-util classes?

    Thanks.
    Sgt. Pepper.

  • Doug Meil at Jun 6, 2011 at 9:15 pm
    Hi there-

    I'd recommend reading this...

    http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#datamodel

    ... and focusing on what is available in the HBase client API before worrying about hbase-util, which are wrappers on the same HBase client API.

    Thanks a lot for the reply. But is there any sample/example code available that does the same?
    I found this code in code.google.com, but it looks more like it is putting the avi file in HDFS instead of HBase.

    http://code.google.com/p/hbase-jdo/
    But I cant seem to be able to understand the code properly. Is there any API documentation available for the hbase-util classes?

    Thanks.
    Sgt. Pepper.

  • Sgtpepper at Jun 8, 2011 at 3:59 pm
    Hey there Doug,
    Yeah I did exactly that and now I am able to store any kind of file in HBase for that matter. Thanks a lot for all your help.

    http://apache-hbase.679495.n3.nabble.com/HBase-Push-Video-or-Image-File-tp3011866p3031993.html