Grokbase Groups HBase dev June 2010
I've built src and binary releases from the tip of branch 0.89.20100621.
I've also made a new tag for this release candidate, rc1. You can find the
tarballs at:

http://people.apache.org/~todd/hbase-0.89.20100621.rc1/

MD5 sums:

5c4281c2cab6c686dc9f2d1e2b624d53 hbase-0.89.20100621-bin.tar.gz
8a581e0dc2176e83a2c0c05da2456535 hbase-0.89.20100621-src.tar.gz

GPG signatures are in the same directory.

I would like to propose releasing this release candidate as HBase
0.89.20100621.

Changes since last release candidate:
HBASE-2774 Spin in ReadWriteConsistencyControl eating CPU (load > 40)
and
no progress running YCSB on clean cluster start
HBASE-2783 Quick edit of 'Getting Started' for development release
0.89.x

Please see the previous thread for more information about the purpose of
this release candidate - in particular, we're not making any guarantees that
this is bug free. I hope we can release this rc with no follow up patches
unless anything is extremely broken. We'll do another release like this in a
few weeks after the new master code has been stabilized a bit, and of course
anything else that has gone into trunk will go into there.

If we could complete voting by Friday that would be excellent.

Thanks,
-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Search Discussions

  • Stack at Jun 24, 2010 at 6:16 pm
    +1

    It basically works.

    Ran small YCSB test against small cluster. Ten clients. 5 nodes
    doing 50/50 read/write against 10M row table. At same time ran MR job
    of ten clients doing short 100 row scans. No wackyness in logs.
    Completed.

    I did not try killing nodes to test recoveries.

    Doc. looks fine.

    St.Ack
[...]

  • Ryan Rawson at Jun 24, 2010 at 7:02 pm
    +1 it also basically works for me...
[...]

  • Stack at Jun 24, 2010 at 9:14 pm
    FYI, TestHLog unit test fails for me in same way it fails on TRUNK
    (but I'm leaving my +1 in place).
    St.Ack
[...]

  • Jean-Daniel Cryans at Jun 24, 2010 at 9:49 pm
    I tried it on 1 machine with a RS configured with 500MB heap and it
    was holding fine. Also tried with 5GB, in both cases I was very
    impressed with the import speed (peaking at 90k/sec on 1 RS but lots
    of pauses due to full memstores).

    But then I tried doing a randomRead test with 10 clients... I got only
    max 200 req/sec and it was driving my system's load to 12 (almost
    exclusively IO wait). Looking at the jstacks of both RS and DN, the
    threads are all waiting in the selectors. I don't remember seeing this
    with 0.20.5 on the same machine.

    Still, since this is a dev release, I'm +1

    J-D
[...]

  • Todd Lipcon at Jun 24, 2010 at 10:20 pm
    Non-PMC +1 from me too. I've been running on a 5 node cluster for several
    hours under heavy load (three machines running YCSB with 40 threads).
    Everything holding up pretty well.

    Thanks for the note on read performance, definitely something to look into
    for the next dev release in case we have a big regression.

    Given we have 3 PMC +1s above, I think we're technically good to release.
    Let's figure that out on IRC (I don't know the process involving web site,
    etc).

    -Todd
[...]

  • Stack at Jun 25, 2010 at 4:56 pm
    Vote passes. Will post the release later today.
    St.Ack

groupdev @
categorieshbase, hadoop
postedJun 24, '10 at 3:22p